Trouble deciding PSU

PRATZiLLA

Commendable
Jan 13, 2017
I am looking forward to build my first gaming pc with the following specs :

Mobo : AsRock B150m Pro4 Hyper
Processor : i3 6100
RAM : 4x4gb DDR4
Graphics Card : GTX 1050 or GTX 1060 (depending on the following conditions below)

I wanted to go for an antec vp500pc PSU as it seems pretty good for what i need but is also overkill if i get the 1050 but is it just slightly overkill or really overkill? as i dont want the higher wattage to hamper the performance and efficiency.

I also saw the corsair VS450 which seems suitable for the 1050 build but is a tier 4 PSU and is known to be using cheap capacitors.

Coming to the important part, the voltage in the area im about to move in has very high and often voltage fluctuations and im afraid this might damage the vs450 and also my PC. Although i have a UPS still as these PSUs have active PFC it might cause sudden restarts.

That is why im opting to go for the Antec as i trust it more than the corsair. Also my locality does not have other options like XFX, EVGA etc so these are my only options.

Also if you guys suggest that the VS450 will cause trouble and the VP500PC will be overkill for a 1050 i might just get a 1060 to get red of the overkill and trust issues.

Please recommend based on the above requirments.

Thank you.

SVstorm

Reputable
Dec 10, 2014
I refuse to buy anything but Seasonic. I bought a cheap PSU one time and it came back to bite me so now I only use them and never had a problem since.

Maybe the SeaSonic G Series 550-Watt or the 450 Watt both are gold rated.

Both use CWT (i.e. Channel Well Technology) as the OEM.

The Antec VP500PC is based on the CWT GPA platform (i.e. GPA500S).

The Corsair VS450 is based on the CWT GPM (230V only) platform (i.e. GPM450S).

The GPA platform is not better than the GPM platform. The GPA model has weaker combined +12V rail capacity than the equivalent wattage GPM model. Both use obsolete group regulated circuit design that isn't Intel Haswell or later compatible.

PRATZiLLA

Commendable
Jan 13, 2017

So as i dont have any other options should i just go for the vs450?

The Corsair VS450 is now a discontinued model so you will be buying leftover stock that is still in the distribution channel. The new VS500 would be its replacement. Corsair's 3 Year warranty is longer than the 2 Year warranty that Antec offers on their VP500PC.