[SOLVED] Trouble deleting files from Backup Plus Slim

flycaster

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2010
I find that backing up files produced a ton of duplicate pictures. I tried using PictureEcho, but wasn't happy with it. I'd like to know two things: 1) how do I delete all stored files-want to start over, afresh,) and 2) how do I prevent duplicate pictures occurring after backing up? I followed SG's directions for deleting plans and files, but every time I do (clicked on delete Plan and delete files,) I keep getting taken to starting a new Plan and a new backup???

Solution
Sort of got frustrated with this whole issue and think I have found a simple solution. I manually erased everything on the Backup Slim and then used File History. File History got all my major stuff. AND, correct me if I am wrong, I believe that the next time I backup, there won't be any duplications???

Ralston18

Titan
"SG's directions" being …. ? (SG Photography) Link?

Does "starting a new Plan and a new backup" just overwrite the existing plan?

Could be a safeguard: you are prevented from deleting a backup plan unless there are multiple plans.

I.e., there is always some (at least one) backup plan in place? Any documentation?

PictureEcho:

https://pictureecho.com/

No immediate response or suggestions with respect to the duplicates.

However, before you do anything, ensure that you have backups that are verified to be recoverable and readable.

And nowhere near the drives and folders that you are trying to purge of duplicate photos. Preferably the backups are offline and disconnected. With copies both on and off site.

If there is some software bug or user error, all photo's could be lost.

flycaster

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2010
"SG's directions" being …. ? (SG Photography) Link?

Does "starting a new Plan and a new backup" just overwrite the existing plan?
I have no idea.

Could be a safeguard: you are prevented from deleting a backup plan unless there are multiple plans.
This is a possibility. I could try to put in a second Plan

I.e., there is always some (at least one) backup plan in place? Any documentation?

PictureEcho:

https://pictureecho.com/

No immediate response or suggestions with respect to the duplicates.
I couldn't tell whether or not PictureEcho was working. After checking Delete file and Delete Plan, and then Start, there was a dropdown that said deletion was starting, but after that, there was no indication that anything was happening. Nonetheless, I let it "run" for about 10 minutes. However, when I checked the size of the backup, it had been reduced by about 20%. So, obviously, something was working although there was no indication of what was happening.

However, before you do anything, ensure that you have backups that are verified to be recoverable and readable.

And nowhere near the drives and folders that you are trying to purge of duplicate photos. Preferably the backups are offline and disconnected. With copies both on and off site.

If there is some software bug or user error, all photo's could be lost.

Ralston18

Titan
Did not realize that Seagate was "in the mix".

Have you tried downloading and reinstalling the dashboard?

Take a closer look at the drive and software. Some features may have been removed.

Reference:

https://www.seagate.com/support/software/dashboard/#downloads

There is also a option to email Seagate: give that a try and hopefully they will respond. (Note you can call but the advantage of an email is you can document the "conversations".)

flycaster

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2010
Sort of got frustrated with this whole issue and think I have found a simple solution. I manually erased everything on the Backup Slim and then used File History. File History got all my major stuff. AND, correct me if I am wrong, I believe that the next time I backup, there won't be any duplications???

Solution