Question Trouble finding the optimal WiFi set up.

dvdtrk

Honorable
Nov 21, 2015
Hey guys. I have been struggling with the research for finding the optimal networking/wifi setup. Because I currently reside in an approximately 3600 square feet house, I need a good setup that can reach very far. The problem is that I have no idea what combination of components I should purchase. From what I can see, mesh network routers seem to have their own separate flaws depending on the company and it's hard to determine which one is the least bad. I also don't really know if it would be better to get a modem with a router (or a combination, however, I heard that it's better to keep them separate) and then get a wifi extender, or even just get rid of the concept of increasing the wifi range with another component and instead opt for the Motorola MG7700 (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BRZ2KW5/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=A1JCDPLP2335KA&psc=1 ) which supposedly already has a decently long range which would save some hassle and money. Money is not really a big issue, but I would prefer something within reason. So what components do any of you recommend?

Thank you.

kanewolf

Titan
A WIFI source that can reach far is only half the battle. Your devices, which can't reach as far won't connect back. You can't think of WIFI like an AM radio station. You need to think of it more like a walke-talkie. Both sides have to be similar to get great performance.
Usually that means multiple WIFI sources spatially distributed throughout your house. Those WIFI sources are then tied back to your main router by ethernet cabling. That is how you get great wireless.

dvdtrk

Honorable
Nov 21, 2015
A WIFI source that can reach far is only half the battle. Your devices, which can't reach as far won't connect back. You can't think of WIFI like an AM radio station. You need to think of it more like a walke-talkie. Both sides have to be similar to get great performance.
Usually that means multiple WIFI sources spatially distributed throughout your house. Those WIFI sources are then tied back to your main router by ethernet cabling. That is how you get great wireless.
I won't be able to use ethernet cabling. I need a strictly wireless solution, even if that means being worse than it would be with ethernet. What components would you recommend for that?

Sep 3, 2019
How you looked at powerline extenders? Havent really tried them but heard that since they run transmit the signal via your electrical outlets they have better range than wifi extenders....They do cost more though....