Trouble fitting a CPU

Eagle784

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
Trying to fit a Pentium D 915 into a Socket 775 (Gigabyte DS3 motherboard), and it just wont go in. I've read almost no force should be used, but I've tried to setting it on there at least 10 or 20 times now without luck.

I turned the chip around to look at the contacts and noticed the socket had made little dots on the contacts when I had put it down, but about 4 or 5 contacts did not have these dots. The contacts, which I'm speculating aren't finding a matching pin, are spread out across the chip. Does anyone have any ideas on putting this chip in? Thanks.

SidVicious

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
Chances are that you ruined the LGA socket by bending some pins out of alignment, you should have stopped the first time you noticed that something was wrong...

STBU :?

Eagle784

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
Chances are that you ruined the LGA socket by bending some pins out of alignment, you should have stopped the first time you noticed that something was wrong...

STBU :?

This is possible, but I find it extremely unlikely that I pushed hard enough to bend pins out of alignment. I closely inspected the pins in question, they seem to be straight. What's STBU?

SidVicious

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
Sucks To Be You...

LGA sockets are very fragile, you may not have noticed the damage:

148293_148293.jpg
148294_148294.jpg

148295_148295.jpg
148296_148296.jpg

Eagle784

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
Sucks To Be You...

LGA sockets are very fragile, you may not have noticed the damage:

148293_148293.jpg
148294_148294.jpg

148295_148295.jpg
148296_148296.jpg

Ok, any other ideas? If a series of pins wasn't catching, I'd be more receptive to your idea, but this is just one pin here, one pin there.

It might be helpful if someone told me how this works. Do the pin push up the contacts on the chip? Why are the pins all designed pointing to one side?

Thanks for your help.

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
When I used to work at D-Tron, we had CPU's with some of the pins misalinged. What we would then do is VERY VERY Carefully, bend them back. We had the old P4's so we would just use a straight ruler or something and sorta move them back into place and then stick them in the mobo and it would work fine. I don't have much experience with 775, but I'm pretty sure if its just one pin here or there, try to bend them back very carefully. Or return it. Your choice.

SidVicious

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
A single bent pin WILL make the difference between a functionnal computer and an expensive paperweight.

Considering that you fumbled 10~20 times (the design specs call for that many installs in the socket lifetime), chances are that the socket is FUBAR.

MarcusL

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
Each pin works like a spring, one pin for each contact.

What makes it lock in place then?

You open the clamshell socket top, drop in the CPU with alignment keys turned correctly, then close the clamshell and lock it down.

The clamshell top provides the force to hold the pads in contact with the spring pins.

Eagle784

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006

You open the clamshell socket top, drop in the CPU with alignment keys turned correctly, then close the clamshell and lock it down.

The clamshell top provides the force to hold the pads in contact with the spring pins.

The clamshell won't close without applying some force, should I do it? I'm hesitant, seeing as I can't get the chip to go down all the way without the clamshell.

(I know these are really simple, newbie questions, thanks for taking the time to answer)

MarcusL

Distinguished
May 18, 2006

The clamshell won't close without applying some force, should I do it? I'm hesitant, seeing as I can't get the chip to go down all the way without the clamshell.

(I know these are really simple, newbie questions, thanks for taking the time to answer)

Don't worry about your questions. It's scary to play around with an expensive part. The motherboard is the more fragile component here.

Inspect the tiny pins in the socket to look for any bent or misaligned pins. If they look good, proceed, otherwise, post a picture or take it to an expert.

When you place the CPU on top of the pins, 2 notches on the CPU sides should line up with two guide pins in the socket plastic. If the CPU is lined up and sitting flat, close the top flap of the socket and lock it down with the metal lever. It will take a little force since you are compressing 775 little springs. As long as the 2 guide pins were aligned and the 775 pins were not damaged to start with, you should not cause any damage.

Eagle784

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
Don't worry about your questions. It's scary to play around with an expensive part. The motherboard is the more fragile component here.

Inspect the tiny pins in the socket to look for any bent or misaligned pins. If they look good, proceed, otherwise, post a picture or take it to an expert.

When you place the CPU on top of the pins, 2 notches on the CPU sides should line up with two guide pins in the socket plastic. If the CPU is lined up and sitting flat, close the top flap of the socket and lock it down with the metal lever. It will take a little force since you are compressing 775 little springs. As long as the 2 guide pins were aligned and the 775 pins were not damaged to start with, you should not cause any damage.

Yup, worked beautifully, the lever didn't require nearly as much pressure as I thought, altho more than what the intel booklet led me to believe. Thanks a lot, you've been a great help.