Question Trouble-free EXPO DDR5-6000 16GB x 2 RAM Kit for Ryzen 7000 ?

alexb75

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2004
So, I am building a cool/quiet AM5 system using Ryzen 7900, and most likely ROG Strix B650e-f motherboard.

I know from all reviews, RAM is a HUGE PRBOLEM for AM5 and aparently not all DDR5 kits work well with EXPO profile. I am looking at DDR5-6000, don't need anything higher, or anything crazy low CL, etc... want it to WORK without a flaw! Was leaning towards Corsair Vengance, BUT I've seen that's not part of the supported EXPO list of Rams?! Kingstone seems to be on the list, any luck there?

https://www.amd.com/en/products/processors/ryzen-compatible-memory.html

So, WHICH kit seems to just WORK, supported by main AM5 motherboards, and have had a good track record?

Forget Vengeance, Teamgroup and most anything from Kingston. Stick to G.Skill. It's better memory overall, less expensive and has much better compatibility with most Ryzen platforms assuming you bother to check the kit against their memory configurator on a per board basis. In fact, these showed as compatible against every B650 board I looked at on the G.Skill compatibility utility.

These will be 100% compatible with the B650e-F and most Ryzen motherboards. Plus they DO have a very good true latency at 10nS. And they are high quality. Made specifically for Ryzen platforms.

PCPartPicker Part List

Memory: G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory ($106.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $106.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-03-26 00:17 EDT-0400

Without doubt, G.Skill has had by FAR the best record of compatibility with Ryzen platforms, since the original Zen architecture, and nothing has changed in that regard.

Reactions: 35below0
I'd say forget EXPO, MB manufacturers and their BIOS still didn't get right grip with it. Nothing wrong with XMP on AMD and in most cases provides more options for BIOS.
I always considered Kingston as most compatible with AMD. Right now I got a kit of 2x16GB Kingston KF560C32RS-16 FURY Renegade. It worked fine since first start using XMP and I was able to improve it to 6200MHz with Cl 30 with few simple changes.

Memory selection on Ryzen is very much a board by board determination though. Sure, there are kits from just about every memory brand that will work on a given board, but very few of them that are going to work on ALL the boards with that chipset so choosing memory that is confirmed for a given board when dealing with Ryzen chipsets is a really good idea.

It applies to Intel as well, but Intel chipsets are a lot less finicky than AMD so there is a bit more leeway when choosing or trying certain models. Obviously though, you wouldn't want to try using one of the Ryzen specific models like the Flare-X or Neos on an Intel board unless you already had it and absolutely needed to, and you CAN sometimes get a kit primarily meant for Intel platforms to run on Ryzen boards but it usually takes some amount or even a great deal of tweaking and playing with settings to get them stable. Better to stick to what is confirmed for a given board IMO.

alexb75

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2004
Memory selection on Ryzen is very much a board by board determination though. Sure, there are kits from just about every memory brand that will work on a given board, but very few of them that are going to work on ALL the boards with that chipset so choosing memory that is confirmed for a given board when dealing with Ryzen chipsets is a really good idea.

It applies to Intel as well, but Intel chipsets are a lot less finicky than AMD so there is a bit more leeway when choosing or trying certain models. Obviously though, you wouldn't want to try using one of the Ryzen specific models like the Flare-X or Neos on an Intel board unless you already had it and absolutely needed to, and you CAN sometimes get a kit primarily meant for Intel platforms to run on Ryzen boards but it usually takes some amount or even a great deal of tweaking and playing with settings to get them stable. Better to stick to what is confirmed for a given board IMO.

But how do I determine that then? Is there a list anywhere?

It's quite ridiculous that in 2024, spending hundreds on a motherboard and a cpl of hundred on DDR5 may still not be enough to POST!

Yes. I've said it over and over and over.

G.Skill memory configurator: https://www.gskill.com/configurator

Corsair memory finder: https://www.corsair.com/us/en/c/memory?type=findbycompatibility

Crucial memory advisor: https://www.crucial.com/store/advisor

Beyond that, you use whatever limited models are available via the motherboard QVL list, or, you roll the dice. Verification for a specific board is OFTEN possible if you search your criteria in a general forum search on Google that needs to include a lot of other forums as well. Neither the MB QVL nor the memory manufacturer QVL are 100% definitive. No list is. ALL memory mostly be made to work if it is at all compatible, but not all is going to work well, or good, or in some cases, at all, without a bunch of extra work. Even then, might not. That's why we HAVE a QVL list to begin with.

The G.Skill RAM Configurator and QVL has all of the combinations G.Skill has tested to be fully compatible and capable of the performance profile XMP or EXPO. Most important is knowing the maximum tested spec or tolerance of each motherboard. Not all manufacturer QVLs validate the full performance profile spec; in some cases it is only boot up, so the G.Skill lists can be most helpful when determining which memory kits to select from for maximum frequency capability. Most motherboards can now recognize and cross-utilize XMP or EXPO, but performance profile specifications are designed for the particular platform so it is best to stick with the same frequency/timings otherwise manual configuration may be needed. We saw this with DDR4 and AMD CPUs preferring even number CAS and < DDR4-4000, so all G.Skill AMD DDR4 memory kits had even number CAS and <DDR4-4000. There are many memory kits that overlap and can be compatible anyway, but there is reason for AMD vs Intel kits

Last edited:
Have you considered the simplicity of intel?
By and large, amd and intel have comparable price/performance.

A I7-14700 is a 65w processor with the same performance characteristics as the ryzen 7000 processor.
Passmark ratings are exactly the same.
A 14700 sells for about the same $385 price.
It comes with an excellent RM1 cooler that you could try.
There are quieter aftermarket coolers available if you need one.
A Asus ROG strix Z790 sells for the same $250 price.
Since a non Z processor will not be overclocked, a less expensive B760 motherboard would work.
Intel does not depend on fast ram for performance so DDR5 5000 ram is fine

Reactions: alexb75

alexb75

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2004
The G.Skill RAM Configurator and QVL has all of the combinations G.Skill has tested to be fully compatible and capable of the performance profile XMP or EXPO. Most important is knowing the maximum tested spec or tolerance of each motherboard. Not all manufacturer QVLs validate the full performance profile spec; in some cases it is only boot up, so the G.Skill lists can be most helpful when determining which memory kits to select from for maximum frequency capability. Most motherboards can now recognize and cross-utilize XMP or EXPO, but performance profile specifications are designed for the particular platform so it is best to stick with the same frequency/timings otherwise manual configuration may be needed. We saw this with DDR4 and AMD CPUs preferring even number CAS and < DDR4-4000, so all G.Skill AMD DDR4 memory kits had even number CAS and <DDR4-4000. There are many memory kits that overlap and can be compatible anyway, but there is reason for AMD vs Intel kits

Thanks, could you tell us then WHY aren't you on this list on AMD's website for "Ryzen Compatible Memory" for Ryzen 7000?!

alexb75

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2004
Have you considered the simplicity of intel?
By and large, amd and intel have comparable price/performance.

A I7-14700 is a 65w processor with the same performance characteristics as the ryzen 7000 processor.
Passmark ratings are exactly the same.
A 14700 sells for about the same $385 price.
It comes with an excellent RM1 cooler that you could try.
There are quieter aftermarket coolers available if you need one.
A Asus ROG strix Z790 sells for the same $250 price.
Since a non Z processor will not be overclocked, a less expensive B760 motherboard would work.
Intel does not depend on fast ram for performance so DDR5 5000 ram is fine

Hmm, too late for that I guess, from all reviews, mostly older, Intel was always super hot, power demanding hence Ryzen 7900 seemed like the best performance per watt. I will take a look at i7-4700 though, I am still within the return window and I haven't even opened up the packages.

alexb75

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2004
I think I am gonna go with these

G.SKILL Flare X5 Series (AMD Expo) DDR5 RAM 32GB (2x16GB)​

6000MT/s CL30-38-38-96 1.35V​

They are the same price as CL36/CL38, and all 3 are on the list of supported RAM for my motherboard. Any reason not to go for CL30 if price is the same?!

Last, is there a DDR5-6000 RAM that can achieve it with LOWER voltage (1.25 or 1.3)?

No. There is not. At those speeds, you are not ever going to see any voltage below 1.35v, at best. That's already plenty low considering the throughput for memory operations these days and we are getting the latency down a little more each month it seems. So, it's no different than any other gen of memory. Besides which, due to money considerations, Samsung isn't even making it's best IC's anymore. So, everything is merely good, decent or ok, and that's pretty much it these days. There is almost nothing you could point to and say "this is far above everything else" like you could when there was B-die kits.

It's not that they can't make it. It's that they figured out they can make as much OR MORE money without spending the same amount of money as what was required to produce those kits.

Reactions: alexb75

alexb75

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2004
No. There is not. At those speeds, you are not ever going to see any voltage below 1.35v, at best. That's already plenty low considering the throughput for memory operations these days and we are getting the latency down a little more each month it seems. So, it's no different than any other gen of memory. Besides which, due to money considerations, Samsung isn't even making it's best IC's anymore. So, everything is merely good, decent or ok, and that's pretty much it these days. There is almost nothing you could point to and say "this is far above everything else" like you could when there was B-die kits.

It's not that they can't make it. It's that they figured out they can make as much OR MORE money without spending the same amount of money as what was required to produce those kits.

On Newegg at least I saw a few DDR6000 with 1.25V, Corsair Vengeance CL36 I think and a few others. I’ll check if they’re tested for my motherboard.

Mar 29, 2024
So, I am building a cool/quiet AM5 system using Ryzen 7900, and most likely ROG Strix B650e-f motherboard.

I know from all reviews, RAM is a HUGE PRBOLEM for AM5 and aparently not all DDR5 kits work well with EXPO profile. I am looking at DDR5-6000, don't need anything higher, or anything crazy low CL, etc... want it to WORK without a flaw! Was leaning towards Corsair Vengance, BUT I've seen that's not part of the supported EXPO list of Rams?! Kingstone seems to be on the list, any luck there?

So, WHICH kit seems to just WORK, supported by main AM5 motherboards, and have had a good track record?
you should look for

ADATA XPG Lancer RGB 32GB DDR5 6400MHz CL32 Dual Channel Kit ( AX5U6400C3216G-DCLARBK ) or something like that, mine got xmp and expo profile so they have 6000MHz version :)

ADATA XPG LANCER 32GB DDR5 6000MHz CL40 Dual Channel Kit ( AX5U6000C4016G-DBK )​

Endre

Reputable

Hello!

The absolute trouble free RAM kits are the ones that do not use overclock through higher voltages (1.25V, 1.35V, 1.45V) to get to those EXPO/XMP frequencies & timings.

I am talking about JEDEC kits.
JEDEC RAM kits run at 1.1V (even if they mention EXPO/XMP).

Here is an example:

Crucial DDR5 - 64GB - 5600 - CL - 46 (2x 32 GB) dual kit, RAM (black, CT2K32G56C46U5, INTEL XMP, AMD EXPO).​

Here is another example:
Team Group ELITE 64GB, DDR5-5200, CL42.
SKU: TED564G5200C42DC01

I hope this helps you.

Last edited: