Trouble-free Windows 10 Antivirus Options

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeynavy1976

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
I did a search and didn't find what I was looking for. I am periodically getting BSODs, and based on some other forums it could be antivirus issues. In Windows 7 and 8/8.1 I used a combination of Avast Free and Malwarebytes. I did a clean install of Windows 10 and am using the most current versions of both. There are rumors that Avast may be causing issues, including BSOD (I believe the reported cause was BAD_POOL_HEADER). What alternative or combo have other people found that have been stable and provide reliable protection. Is Windows Defender by itself or with Malwarebytes (I haven't heard complaints with it messing up Windows 10) a safe option?

Solution
I am sure every program is going to discover bugs and fix things for windows 10 compatibility.
I would just passively run malwarebytes with windows defender and firewall for now. And don't do risky things like download torrents/p2p or go to untrusted websites.

What many people don't understand about bugs and software development is that it is just not possible to fix all bugs before a release.
First of all your program testers and home beta testers are all more advanced users that are less likely to do things incorrectly. Thus bugs that completely crash the program, like say if you try to do step 4 before step 2, wont be discovered until the masses start to use it.
The other even larger factor is just the sure quantity of devices...
I am sure every program is going to discover bugs and fix things for windows 10 compatibility.
I would just passively run malwarebytes with windows defender and firewall for now. And don't do risky things like download torrents/p2p or go to untrusted websites.

What many people don't understand about bugs and software development is that it is just not possible to fix all bugs before a release.
First of all your program testers and home beta testers are all more advanced users that are less likely to do things incorrectly. Thus bugs that completely crash the program, like say if you try to do step 4 before step 2, wont be discovered until the masses start to use it.
The other even larger factor is just the sure quantity of devices with different hardware. You can never simulate the millions of peripherals, motherboard chipsets, audio chipsets and other hardware in a lab, and thus incompatibility with a specific device is not going to be found until public release.

The majority of us have not made any "crucial" computer windows 10 yet to allow all of these little bugs to be found.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.