Question Trouble getting my Cisco CBS350 and Starlink to play nice...

ApplicationError

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2010
I'm having issues with getting internet on my Cisco CBS350 switch from a Starlink router. This is an overview of the setup:

Starlink <--WiFi--> TP Extender <--Ethernet--> Cisco CBS350 Switch (192.168.2.254) <--Ethernet--> Devices (192.168.2.x)

But there is more to it, and I created a "diagram" and took some screenshots. Maybe that is better...

All the images are here: View: https://imgur.com/a/HqNfNcE

I wasn't able to embed them all.

mVYISdu.png

gR2zecU.jpg

b3WhDS2.jpg

CXlJbqV.jpg

This is what happens when you use a commercial piece of equipment.

Your problem is the device you call a router from say starlink is not actually a router. It is best called a gateway its function is to translate a lan subnet to a single wan IP address.

Your switch actually can function as a actual router. A router does not translate addresses it purely moves traffic from 1 subnet to another without changing the IP addresses. So you could have say a bunch of subnet 192.168.10.x 192.168.11.x 192.168.12.x These device all would have a gateway ip that is the switch but on different vlans. The switch would then allow these device to talk to each other using those IP without the need to change them.

Your problem is you need a device to translate all the 192.168.2.x ip addresses to something in the starlink lan network of 192.168.1.x. Now maybe, but unlikely, the starlink has the ability to route the 192.168.2.0/24 subnet to some interface on your switch which would then send it to the proper device. This generally is not a function a consumer box has but I have seen it on some.

What you need is a consumer router to sit between the 2 networks and translate the IP addresses.

ApplicationError

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2010
This is what happens when you use a commercial piece of equipment.

Your problem is the device you call a router from say starlink is not actually a router. It is best called a gateway its function is to translate a lan subnet to a single wan IP address.

Your switch actually can function as a actual router. A router does not translate addresses it purely moves traffic from 1 subnet to another without changing the IP addresses. So you could have say a bunch of subnet 192.168.10.x 192.168.11.x 192.168.12.x These device all would have a gateway ip that is the switch but on different vlans. The switch would then allow these device to talk to each other using those IP without the need to change them.

Your problem is you need a device to translate all the 192.168.2.x ip addresses to something in the starlink lan network of 192.168.1.x. Now maybe, but unlikely, the starlink has the ability to route the 192.168.2.0/24 subnet to some interface on your switch which would then send it to the proper device. This generally is not a function a consumer box has but I have seen it on some.

What you need is a consumer router to sit between the 2 networks and translate the IP addresses.

I am not sure I agree with your assessment, so don't understand what you're proposing.

The issue is that the Starlink router has a DHCP server and it can't be turned off.

I had the Cisco switch on 192.168.1.x but it was causing issues, as the Starlink Router was also assigning 192.168.1.x addresses.

So what "consumer router" do I need to sit between the two?

Because right now I have a TP-Link E705x sitting between the Starlink router and the Cisco CBS350 -- I need to connect the 192.168.2.x network to the internet wirelessly. Unable to run a cable.

ApplicationError

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2010
Which dishy do you have (round or square?)
Have you tried running the starlink ethernet adapter straight to the switch to see if that does anything different?

I've got the square one, is that good or bad?

And I don't have an ethernet adapter yet. It is on the way. The only issue is that running that ethernet cable might be quite the challenge... but might be a good way to "see if that fixes things".

ApplicationError

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2010
Theres nothing wrong with the square dish, except you have to use starlinks router. The round one you were able to use your own, as the power was independent.
I would imagine using the starlink ethernet adapter would likely solve some issues.

Gotcha. Thanks for your replies and insight.

I was thinking maybe have 2 VLANs... one for 192.168.1.x and one for 192.168.2.x and then bridging them. Hm.

Bridging them makes them the same vlan.

The re705 is acts as a AP or a repeater it does not function as a router/gateway from what I can tell. It would in effect need 2 ethernet ports...ie a wan and a lan port.

Any router should be able to do that you need nothing special since it will only being doing nat you can turn off the wifi if you want.

That is very strange you can not disable the dhcp function on starlink. What I suspect you can do if you really want to is filter or block the dhcp request from every reaching the starlink on your switch. Not sure without reading the manual but a lot of these device have the ability to block dhcp in particular because it stops a dumb employee from plugging his home router into the network and taking everything down. So your switch could do the dhcp but the starlink would be blocked from being able to use dhcp.

ApplicationError

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2010
Okay, added a router, but still having issues.

None of the ethernet-connected devices have internet access, but all wireless devices do have internet access.

Could this be a DNS issue as opposed to something else?

Here's an updated diagram

MezEHTo.png

So maybe I didn't see it but does what is the gateway the switch is giving to all the devices on the 192.168.2.x network. It needs to give 192.168.2.110 which is the gateway...ie the path out of the subnet. I assume you have dhcp off on the new router even though in someways it might be easier than doing in on your switch.

Not likely a dns issue. Pretty easy to test just ping 8.8.8.8. Since that is a numeric address already it does not use dns to find it. If it does respond I would then use 8.8.8.8 as your dns server, again this is something the switch needs to give out via dhcp.

Otherwise try a tracert 8.8.8.8 and see how far you get. You should see your new router and the starlink router as hop 1 and hop 2 and then whatever is on starlink after that.