Question Trouble getting new Motherboard to start POST

Nov 5, 2019
I am in the process of upgrading my old HP computer with a new motherboard, processor and memory, but I can not get it to power up and get into the BIOS setup screen. I am getting no POST sounds when powering on (I do have a speaker attached).

Motherboard: ASUS TUF B450M-Plus Gaming
Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 2600, 6-core, 12 thread 3.4GHz Base
Memory: 2 x G.Skill AEGIS Gaming DDR4-3000 16GBt

I have no accessories connected, with the exception of the processor, memory, fans and am using the onboard video. I am getting no POST beeps, even when I removed the memory cards to try and get a POST error. I am also getting no video as well, so I am pretty sure I am not getting much, if anything, occurring in the POST routine. I tried grounding out the CMOS, but it had no affect.

What else can I do to debug this issue?

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
hello cgwaite, welcome to the forums,

what was the original system model and make? you only changed the three components? the speaker is connected to the motherboards header not the speaker port in the rear?
this is the new build troubleshooter and it usually remedies most situations, go down the list every step. step 17 is the speaker is it connected properly?

Nov 5, 2019
hello cgwaite, welcome to the forums,

what was the original system model and make? you only changed the three components? the speaker is connected to the motherboards header not the speaker port in the rear?
this is the new build troubleshooter and it usually remedies most situations, go down the list every step. step 17 is the speaker is it connected properly?
Thanks so much for this checklist. I went back thru and checked everything. Not sure what I did wrong, but after rechecking everything, the system booted as expected. Thanks to everyone who provided feedback for this issue. It was greatly appreciated.