Trouble Installing Intel Stock Fan/Cooler. Need help....

Shpati

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
I am doing my first build, and I am having trouble getting the heat sink in.

Only 2 of the corners gave me that satisfying "click" noise. One of them didn't, but when I look at the bottom, it looks like it's in all the way. The bottom right corner, the one I am having the most trouble is in, it didn't make a click, and when I look at the bottom, I can see that the little black clip is not aligned with the white clips. It looks like it needs to go a little deeper.

Intel Haswell 4690k. Using stock cooler and I won't be overclocking.

BrandonYoung

Reputable
Oct 13, 2014
What I try to do with those crappy stock coolers with those darn annoying push, lock pins is get them all pushed (make sure arrows face away from heatsink) and locked in. If you can look on the back of the motherboard, you should see the clear plastic fully beyond the motherboard mounting holes, with the black plastic expanding them, locking them into place. To remove you twist the arrows to point to the heatsink, then simply pull up.

Shpati

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
It seems like the first one wll click. the second one on the oppoiste corner won't click. the third one will click. and the 4th wont click. It doesn't matter what order, I tried removing and installing the heat sink 2-3 times now in different orders.

EDIT: And yes, the CPU is correctly installed. I made sure to get that part right.

Shpati

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
I have an ASUS z97-a btw. All I did put and lock in the new CPU in. Take out the plastic cover. and put tried to put the heatsink in. That's all I thought you were supposed to do.

BrandonYoung

Reputable
Oct 13, 2014
Yep, remove the plastic cover protecting the CPU socket on the motherboard, insert the CPU (in the right direction of course!), Lock the CPU in place with the provided clamp, and lock the clamp. Then you can attach the heatsink/fan. The heatsink/fan should be able to be mounted.

"Most Intel heatsinks use push-to-click plastic retention studs. For these mechanical locks to work correctly, ensure that the black top of each fastener is rotated into the correct locking orientation, with the arrow pointing away from the heatsink , the groove in the top oriented towards the center of the heatsink. This orientation ensures the fastener will lock into place when pressed down."

BrandonYoung

Reputable
Oct 13, 2014
Apparently my memory has not done so well over the years.

Don't twist the pins, this is to uninstall the cpu, the true "LOCKED" position, is arrows pointing away from the heatsink

Twist to remove.

Sorry for confusing, I will edit that.

Shpati

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
Yes I did that.

When I look at the bottom to see if the pins align, one side's black pins are slightly not showing as much as the other side. Is this ok? I heard the clicks on all corners this time.

BrandonYoung

Reputable
Oct 13, 2014
As long as the clear expanded plastic part is fully beyond the mounting holes on the motherboard (and locked/unable to pull back up) you should be fine. Each post should provide a fairly audible "CLICK" when the black locking pins near the top of the rotatable part lock it into place.