Trouble installing new graphics card

Aug 21, 2018
Hello Everyone. Thank you in advance for any help/guidance. I have a PC with integrated graphics card but it has a PCIE 16 slot. I purchased a new graphics card and followed the steps (I think) and the PC is not detecting anything. Plugs are in tight. Also, I can't even get the DVI connection to work. And it is the correct DVI cable. Monitor keeps blinking and staying black. No signal. Below is the hardware I am using. Using Windows 10.....

PC: https://www.cnet.com/products/asus-cm-series-cm1740-tower-a4-3420-2-8-ghz-6-gb-1-tb/specs/

Graphics Card: MSI Radeon RX 580 DirectX 12 RX 580 ARMOR 8G OC

Monitor: LG W2343TV (Has VGA and DVI ports) No HDMI.

Solution

PCIe as an interface standard is supposed to be backwards compatible, however there can always be anomalies when running newer tech on much older hardware. But yes, technically your motherboard should support it.

I'm guessing you...

engineer5261

Reputable
Apr 26, 2016
That ASUS prebuilt PC only has a 350 Watt power supply and your system leaves very little power headroom. Rx580 can consume upwards of 175 Watts on higher loads. You do not have enough power to run that card.

Can you upgrade PSU? Make sure to upgrade with a correct form factor PSU - watch out as it could also be possible that your PC uses a proprietary PSU.

Aug 21, 2018

Sorry forgot to mention I upgraded power to a 500W - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H33SFJU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

engineer5261

Reputable
Apr 26, 2016
That should be more than enough power.
Have you changed your Bios setting to use PCIe graphics as opposed to IGP (integrated) ? or just switch it to auto
Is the card brand new? Does it have warranty?
Has it been tested in another system?

Aug 21, 2018

I just changed the bios setting today but didn't do anything. This is the 2nd card I've tried unsuccessfully. Don't think it's card. Running out of options :( If the motherboard has the PCIE 16 slot, it should mean that it can use a graphics card right?

engineer5261

Reputable
Apr 26, 2016

PCIe as an interface standard is supposed to be backwards compatible, however there can always be anomalies when running newer tech on much older hardware. But yes, technically your motherboard should support it.

I'm guessing you have already:
tried updating bios?
tried the other PCIe slot?

Solution