Trouble Installing New RAM for Pavilion g6

paulter

Honorable
Mar 29, 2013
Hi all,

I recently purchased some new RAM for my computer from Staples, at the same time as I purchased the new computer that I bought. At Staples they assured me that the RAM was compatible with my computer. However, after installing the RAM myself I have found that my computer is not recognizing that there is any RAM. I was wondering if anyone could help me.

I already had 4GB of RAM installed, and I installed another 4GB of RAM. I am using Ubuntu x64 so it will recognize more RAM, and I checked in my BIOS to make sure. Only 4GB is showing up. The RAM is pushed in "all the way", and I know that my RAM port is working.

My computer is a HP Pavilion g6-2235. The RAM that I purchased has the information below. I am somewhat of a beginner and do not know what all of the data below is for, but if you can make sense of it then let me know.

L/4G-DDR3-1066 SODIM
4GB PC8500 DDR3 1066 MHZ

I read online doing BIOS updates maybe, but I don't know how to do a BIOS update (or how it would be useful). Let me know if any of you can help me!

Thanks

Here are the steps HP suggests you take
"What to do if problems occur after installing memory
If the computer does not start or Windows does not open after replacing the memory, or if there are beeps or blinking Light Emitting Diodes (LEDs) near the Caps Lock or Num Lock keys, try the following steps
•Remove and reseat the new memory module by following the steps in the Installing memory section.
•Remove the new memory module and clean the groove in the socket that the module sits in. While wearing safety glasses, use a can of compressed air with a straw-type extender to clean out any dust or particles in the grove.
•Remove the new memory module and try starting the computer again. If the computer starts, make sure you purchased the right type and compatible size of memory (see Finding memory information for your computer model and Verifying how much memory can be added ). You can use the memory module that originally came installed in the computer for reference.
If possible, make sure all memory modules in your configuration are from the same manufacturer and have the same part number.
•If the computer still does not restart properly, remove the replacement memory, reinstall the original memory, and verify that the computer can operate in its original configuration."
I think something there should get you up and running