Trouble installing noctua d15s cooler

azile0

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
I am having a lot of trouble with even starting to install my cpu cooler. Like a dummy, I put in the motherboard first and the screws got messed up, meaning I can't take it back out. The case does open so I can get at the CPU backplate.

I have a gigabyte ab350 gaming 3, got a Ryzen 1600x and the noctua d15s. The box came with the am adapter but there is where I am having issues.

After removing the stock brackets from around the CPU and installing the chip, I went to install the two small curved plates but began running into my first problem- the CPU backplate falls off very easily, making it difficult to screw things in to it. I cannot safely remove the motherboard because of some messed up screws.

The brackets themselves seem slightly too short for the motherboard. I can set one screw in relatively easily, but the other screw is bent at an impossible angle to screw it in. I have seen others with the same issue but I cannot force this nearly 150 degree screw to go into a 90 degree slot.

Am I missing something elemental and massively messing up, or was I sent a bad adapter?

I am not familiar with the ryzen mount.
But intel noctua mounts will have several notches on the curved pieces to accommodate different size sockets. These are not discrete holes, but more like several notches.
Your manual should clarify which notch pair to use.

You need three hands go get the posts installed.

One to hold the backplate in place, one to hold the nut in place and one to turn the post.
Without a helpful friend, let gravity help.
Place the case near the edge of a table so that the backplate is held in place by gravity.
You can then work from underneath to screw in the posts.
Leave them all lose initially, then tighten in rotation a bit at a time.

azile0

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
I am using the correct set of brackets, they are simply too short. I am going to return the whole unit and re-order the NH-D15 SE-AM4 edition, hopefully that will yield better results.