Trouble installing Officejet 5510

chaparral66

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
Ok, so I originally installed the driver, all good. Pushed the button on the scanner, got the "No Scan Options" eror, and found that I had inadvertently downloaded the corporate version of the driver, which is printing support only, no scanning. Uninstalled via Add/Remove, grabbed the correct driver, started the install, and it still thinks it's installed even after a reboot. It keeps telling me a newer version of the driver is already installed, and to simply plug the device in and Windows will find it. Windows sees it alright, but since I uninstalled the driver, it asks me to point it to a driver. Ughh...
I've managed to get the printer installed, but still no scanning. Can I hack the registry so XP will recognize the original HP software has been uninstalled?
Thank you!

You need to find the '.inf' file to that printer and delete it (Windows/inf folder). This can be a chore so an alternative method will be offered. I will show a brute-force way of getting a newer driver installed. Someone else may have an easier way, but here is mine...

-
-
I am not sure if your driver package is an exe file that runs entirely from itself, or if it gets expanded someplace, (like the Windows temp folder). If it runs entirely from within itself, all this won't work. If the driver file gets expanded someplace, find it before starting this because you'll need to browse to it in the process...
-
-

Delete the device by going to: Start>Settings>Control Panel>Printers and Faxes

Right-click on your printer and click Delete. Close that one windows for Printers and Faxes.

Unplug the printer from your computer.

While still in control panel, open "Add Hardware"
Click "Next" the wizard is going to look for new hardware and won't find your printer.
Click "Yes, I have already connected the hardware"
It will show a list of everything it found in your computer and of course, the printer is not on the list, but, at the bottom of the list it says "Add new hardware device" and click on that, then "Next"
Click the choice of "Install the hardware that I manually select from a list (advanced)"
The top of the list shows "Show all devices" leave it there and click Next.
The next list should also be ignored, no matter what is already highlighted, click "Have Disk".
Browse to your new and improved driver inf file and click next.
The screen will say "Hardware ready to install: <your printer/scanner>, click next.
It may warn you that a previous driver was found and offer to use it, click to install your new driver.
The driver setup may want the printer plugged back into the computer at some point, do it if it ask for it.
When it finishes, try it out.

chaparral66

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
For those who have had the same problem, I managed to fix this. Tried what Tigsounds suggested, but when I selected the inf file, no device was added to the list to allow me to click next and continue with the install. I then went back to the incorrect driver, expanded it, and noticed it contained some uninstall files (uninstall, and uninstall1-4). I ran all 5 of the uninstall files, rebooted, and the found that finally the driver had been removed. I was then able to install the correct driver, and the scanning function is now working as well.