Trouble installing Radeon HD 4870

JQob

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2008
I recently received a Palit Radeon HD 4870. I tried installing the first time and my computer would start, shut down, start, shut down again and then finally boot up but without detecting the video card. I soon realized that it probably couldn't draw enough power from my 300w power supply so I ordered an Antec Neo HE 550.

When we got that and tried installing it started for a brief moment and then shut down completely and it wouldn't come back. A light was blinking on the motherboard. When we removed the video card and reinstalled the previous power supply. It worked again.

Next, I tried just installing the power supply. The computer came on, although on startup it gave me an error about usb overcurrent. My usb mouse and keyboard was working, so I don't think it was a big deal.

Then when we tried installing the video card again, it did the same thing as before. Shut down completely with a yellow light blinking on the motherboard.

My computer is a Dell Inspiron 518. System specs (copied from the dell order confirmation e-mail):

Intel® Core™ 2 Quad processor Q6600 (8MB L2, 2.4GHz, 1066FSB)
4GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz (4 DIMM)
Dell Entry Keyboard and Dell Optical USB Mouse
500GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™
Dell 19 in 1 Media Card Reader
Mouse included with Keyboard purchase
16X DVD+/-RW Drive
Internal PCI 802.11g Wireless Network Card

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? Any help would be appreciated.

-JQob

Zecow

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2008
not sure that you might have damaged your card. Install the new PSU - then take out your mainboard's cmos battery, leave it out for 20 minutes, then resinsert them back in and try powering up your rig.

Peaks

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008
When you install a new GPU you will have to reinstall windows because the drivers have changed. Otherwise Windows will think it is working with different hardware. Might explain why it booted with the new PSU but couldn't register the GFX card.

raider37

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
nope, u dont have to reinstall windows when u change ure graphics cards even if moving from one company to another, that would be ludicrous. yeah changing ure processor might require that u do that, but otherwise not when changing ure graphics card.

moving along, i suggest u get ure powersupply checked out, since u were getting an over current problem, if u can attach it to someone elses rig, do so and see if its causing a problem there as well.

As for the card, testing it on someone else's system to ensure that the card isnt damaged in any way will ensure that ure card is not the problem. Since ure pc works fine with the original power supply, i'm guessing either its a power supply issue, or ure mobo cant handle the supply (which is odd but not unheard of).

Peaks

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008
I see, I was given false information in another part of this forum then.

Just as a side not....Would I have to reinstall windows if I was changing my MoBo?

raider37

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
depends, i've changed three different mobos and each time i did so i didnt have to reinstall my copy of windows, although i didnt get a BSOD ones while booting into windows with my second mobo so i had to boot in safe mode, uninstall all my old hardware drivers and then it would boot normally, i then proceeded to install the new drivers and thats it!

although i would always recommend u reinstall ure O/S when changing ure motherboard, since un-installation of old drivers doesnt always ensure that they are completely removed and may cause conflicts with new hardware.

G

I just buyed the XFX radeon HD 4870. But each time i try install it. It says i have to go on XFXforce.com to get a optimized driver... and that the product is not registered, but i have registered it now and i also did try to download the driver myself from their website. Still it won't work...

G

So your not alone mate... i do also have some problems with my graphic card

TRENDING THREADS