Trouble Installing RAM in New Build

nuttynut

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2016
I'm working on my second build and can't seem to be able to push down the tabs on one side of the RAM slots. The video below should demonstrate what I'm talking about.

Mobo: Asrock X470 Master sli/ac
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000 Mhz

[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGhJ2AYYvjA"][/video]

Solution
First, your video shows up as unavailable if you click it. Even if you copy the URL and paste the actual Youtube address, on Youtube, same thing.

Anyhow, for RAM that does not have release levers on both ends of the memory slot you need to slightly angle the memory and slip the end of the memory that does not have a release, in first. Then level the module, press down firmly until both ends seat.

More importantly is to make sure that you have the correct end of the memory in the correct end of the slot, so that the keyway in the bottom of the module lines up correctly with the key in the slot. It cannot be installed bi-directionally. Memory is uni-directional and can only be installed in a singular orientation.

In other words, it...
First, your video shows up as unavailable if you click it. Even if you copy the URL and paste the actual Youtube address, on Youtube, same thing.

Anyhow, for RAM that does not have release levers on both ends of the memory slot you need to slightly angle the memory and slip the end of the memory that does not have a release, in first. Then level the module, press down firmly until both ends seat.

More importantly is to make sure that you have the correct end of the memory in the correct end of the slot, so that the keyway in the bottom of the module lines up correctly with the key in the slot. It cannot be installed bi-directionally. Memory is uni-directional and can only be installed in a singular orientation.

In other words, it only goes in one way and if it's in the wrong way it will not seat on both ends.

Solution

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Your vid not working

Is this the same board?

[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGXGBS_VFU8"][/video]

From 3mins he tries to open the latches i think the same side as you but they wont move. Funny, looking at the manual the memory installation diagrams show both latch sides extended. Looks like the manual hasn't been updated.

My mobo has similar design, only one side extends. I just push the ram in ok, not a lot of force but some.

I'm betting the RAM is being installed with the wrong end at the wrong end. They can only be installed one way. If you try to install them without the key and keyway lined up, one end WILL lock into the place but the memory will simply "seesaw" on the key that is in the bottom of the slot in the off center position.

nuttynut

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2016

Thanks for the replies. Sorry about the video. I should have checked it before posting.

Yes, I was trying to install the modules exactly as you said. Once I inserted the RAM starting with the non-locked side, I got it seated with little trouble.

nuttynut

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2016

Yeah, the manual was zero help.