Trouble installing W7

tlokzz

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2008
I am trying to install Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit on a new harddrive I have bought but when it goes to install it does the copying files (first step) and instantly goes from 0 to 100% and errors on the next step (expanding files). This happens to me no matter if I have the hard drive in the laptop it was meant for or another laptop that I use. I have tried multiple different ISOs with multiple different computers and different programs to make sure it was not my install disc. I have yet to try a bought DVD of W7. Does anyone know what this could be?

The new HDD is a brand new HDD with SSD 4GB hybrid and advertised to work with no drivers and they do not supply any.

My current assumptions at this point is that it still could be my install disc is corrupt or something. Also could be incorrect hard drive formatting or worse faulty hardware. The part that disturbs me is that I can not get it to install on my own personal laptop that I use.

Can anyone suggest anything? I have been told to supply the SATA drivers for the MOBO at install but that was a nightmare. I think the reason it didn't work was because the drivers were for XP or Vista and did not have explicit compatibility for W7 but probably still would of worked.

tlokzz

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2008

You're mistaking me for a thief. My copy is genuine and downloaded directly from Microsoft. I have purchased my license online and downloaded the ISO. I simply meant I never tried a MS burned disc that is validated before shipping out. I have been kind of thinking it's my internet messing up the download, my dvd burner, the program I am using, the discs I'm using, or numerous other things.

In my experience most windows 7 installation problems are due to problem memory try running memtest86 for at least three passes.

You shouldn't need the drivers for the SATA interface with Windows 7 you only need to install them if you can't see the drive when it asks you which drive to install to. When you get to this stage delete the drive, and then repartition it (NEW) and then format it,

tlokzz

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2008
Woah thanks for all the replies guys, almost lost hope on that first one. I never thought about burning at lower speeds, I will try that. Also I will verify the hash to make sure it downloaded correctly. I knew it had to be something to do with my copy of the install disc. :/ It's really been bumming me out.

The drive is advertised to work with all hardware. It was SATA-2 3Mbps just like the old one. The hybrid part shouldn't change anything since it has an onboard controller that is the actual interface.

I have tried PowerISO and freeware ImgBurn. Also tried USB but it looks as if the laptop's MOBO doesn't support booting from it. I believe I have tried DVD+R and DVD-RW but at maximum speeds (never had a issues with it).

MidnightDistort

Distinguished
May 11, 2012
I would try burning at a lower speed & while i've been out of the loop for brands Sony & Memorex are dvd brands i would stick with. Imatation and generally the other no name brands i usually stay away from. Maybe try DVD-R's.. i don't know how reliable your RW's are and if you can try a different burner.

scout_03

Titan
Ambassador
i suggest you one thing if you download from digital life for the os try to burn it using the windows 7 usb dvd download to burn the iso link i use for download the iso http://www.mydigitallife.info/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-from-digital-river/