Trouble Installing Win10

ukbsktbll13

Reputable
Dec 28, 2016
I currently have XP and am long overdue for an OS upgrade. After some research it was suggested that Windows 10 would be my best choice. I am planning on completely upgrading my system but at this time I am unable to afford that. My current plan is to purchase a SSD drive and install Windows 10 64bit. The other main components of my system that relate are listed below.

I am wanting to install Win10 on my brand new SSD. I had the SSD as the only drive hooked up and put the Win10 DVD in my drive and booted from it and I arrive at the Win10 logo (blue windows) and it just sits there. I let it sit there for sometime with out any spinning dots as I have found out is what I should be seeing. Upon some further research it seems that it could be my DVD drive not reading it properly. I try a blu ray optical drive I have w the same results. I verified it worked w DVDs as I tested a movie in that drive and even copied the ISO from Win10 with imgburn with that drive. Then I burned that ISO file to a usb w RUFUS (http://rufus.akeo.ie/). I attempted to install it that way with the same results. I even tried to test a SATA HD incase it was the SSD and got the same results. I even downloaded the Win10 iso from Microsoft to ensure that it wasn't my disk that was corrupted. Still the same results.

I have never used an SSD drive or anything but XP so I am not sure if through my lack of knowledge I am missing something. Any help is much appreciated

Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Conroe 3.16GHz
GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX All Solid Capacitor Intel
4gb of ram

Solution
The problem is going to be the age of the PC. The last operating system that your board supported was win 7. So there are no win 8 or win 10 drivers, your motherboard isn't supported by Intel or windows anymore.

Best choice is either stay on XP or upgrade to win 7 if you really want to.

You need to wait till you get a better PC before you can install win 10.

Colif

Win 11 Master
The problem is going to be the age of the PC. The last operating system that your board supported was win 7. So there are no win 8 or win 10 drivers, your motherboard isn't supported by Intel or windows anymore.

Best choice is either stay on XP or upgrade to win 7 if you really want to.

You need to wait till you get a better PC before you can install win 10.

Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master
what do you mean by best option?

I would go to here and download the win 7 drivers for the version you want to use (32bit ot 64bit) so you don't need to find them after the install.

I suspect the win 7 installer will run much better than the win 10 one as it would recognise motherboard and most of the parts in PC already.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I had a PC very much like yours last year, I used it since 2006 so it had similar specs to yours, was slower than yours is. E6600 Dual core 2.15ghz I think... PC haven't got that much faster CPU wise but everywhere else is faster. I never even contemplated updating it to win 10, I knew it was too old. Without even thinking about drivers and whether it would work.

I never thought to use an SSD on it, I had a Western Digital velociraptor for all its life, though it was starting to die as it was losing space on the C drive even when i wasn't doing anything to use it. SSD would have made rest of pc seem slow and anti virus scans would have chewed up CPU usage as the ssd can feed data soooo much faster than my current CPU can cope, let alone the old one.

So going from that to this... one year later, this PC still doesn't feel slow. I just need to use any hdd based PC to realise its not slow. 20 second boot times give you so much more time to use PC. You will wonder why you waited so long.

Colif

Win 11 Master
upgrade? replace.. unless you like the case so much? When the time comes, you would need to buy CPU, motherboard and ram at same time.. and power supply. you should use a site like https://au.pcpartpicker.com/ to let it help you pick parts that work together and also find cheapest parts in your region. That way you know they at least work together
you could run off onboard graphics if you choose right, saves on a gpu until you can afford it

ukbsktbll13

Reputable
Dec 28, 2016
So basically would putting windows 7 on an SSD drive make a big change w my current setup. I do plan to do a complete upgrade. So when I do will I need to buy Win 10 or will I be able to upgrade from Windows 7 cheaper than buying a brand new copy of Windows 10.

Also is Windows 7 home 64 bit what I should get?

Colif

Win 11 Master
An ssd makes loading faster but it will just run into other roadblocks set up by the older parts of your PC

You would have to buy win 10 as there is currently only 1 free upgrade path available from win 7 and no telling how long it is still there. It is only meant to be used with people with disabilities who still have 7.

I wouldn't buy win 7 unless you really have to upgrade now. Your motherboard can only support a max of 8gb of ram, so I am not sure buying 64bit would make much difference unless you have spare ram sitting around.

As when you get a new PC you will likely have to buy win 10 then as many new motherboard this year won't support Win 7 anymore, it is already difficult to install win 7 on last years motherboards, but Intel dropping all support in 2017.