Trouble looking for help with issue...

spikenog

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2007
Hello to everyone,

I've been having an issue with a system I recently built, hoping to get some help with it. I built two identical PCs, one for my girlfriend and one for me...everything in both machines is the same...here are the parts.

Core Duo CPU E6750
Vista 64
EVGA 122-CK-NF68-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard
EVGA 768-P2-N831-AR GeForce 8800GTX 768MB
Antec NeoPower 650 Blue ATX12V / EPS12V 650W Power Supply
CORSAIR XMS2 4GB (4 x 1GB) DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (these came in 4 matched pairs)

So, I build her machine first...install Vista...not a single issue. Build mine and it will not boot with 4 gb of ram...works fine with 2gb though. I mess with the sticks of ram an determine that a couple of the sticks are bad (one of the matched pairs)...they do the same thing to her machine as to mine. I return the RAM and use my new PC with 2gb fort he time being.

I get the new RAM...my machine will not boot with 4gb again. The machine asks me to put in the Vista disc, restart and repair...but I can't even get that far...after the Vista disc does the initial start up it goes back to the screen where it's asking me to choose Safe-mode, Last known good config, or normal settings. Nothing works.

I test this new RAM in my girl's machine...same issue. Send back the RAM...again (and I did do the mem tests and such).

Now, today I get the new RAM...again, and I have the same issue.

When I boot the machine it goes through the post...the post screen shows the 4gb...it sees it in the bios...but when it goes to boot Vista is always goes back to the screen where it wants me to "Repair" due to hardware changes...but I can never get to that point.

Is there an issue with the motherboard? I have an OEM copy of Vista and would hate to have to get another copy due to the mobo being messed up. And if it is the mobo, why would it see the ram during the post? As I mentioned I have no issues runnign with 2gb (other than I want 4gb) and my girl's machine has no issues with 4gb. I can't even reinstall Vista as it never gets to the screen that woudl allow me too...just does the initial setup and then falls flat...showing me that same screen.

At my wits end. Built one and no issues...the seconds has been a pita. Does anyone know what's going on or how to help me fix it?

Thanks in advance.

First, I would check and be sure your board has the same bios version as your girlfriend's. If it does, then I would return it. If your vender can send you a new board, I would use him. If he has to send it off to evga for testing, I would call them direct, and see how their rma process works, and if they will send you a brand new board. I wouldn't accept a refurbished board under any circumstances.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Simple solution, take your girlfriends mobo. :lol:

Seriously, It wasn't clear (1) did the 4 sticks of your ram work properly in her machine or (2) her 4 sticks work in yours? If yes to #1 and no to #2 then replace your mobo. If that's not the case you still have RAM problems.

XMSYellowbeard

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
What specific memory do you have? Also with 4 x 1gb on those MOBOs you typically have to raise the SPP (NBv) and the SPP VTT or tracking voltage to handle the extra chipset load.

spikenog

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2007
What would be the safe levels to set these voltages at?

With the second set of RAM it did work on hers and not on mine...she was too busy with her PC last night for me to try the new set...going to give it a go tonight.

If both of your evga boards are identical, including the bios versions, then you have a bad board. You can try flashing the bios or use the cmos jumper to reset it, but if evga has a lifetime warranty, why bother. I would send the board back. You've already wasted enough time by changing memory. If your vender is kind enough to offer you a different board, I would go with an abit or asus board. Do you really need sli? If not, the abit ip35-e is only $71 after rebate at mwave.

spikenog

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2007

Certainly looking at a new board perhaps...the bad thing about it that I have an OEM copy of Vista...and would have to order another.

Have you followed XMSYY.... recommendation. Is the Vdimm voltage at the recommended spec (Probably 2.1 to 2.2 Volts). Also, with 4 sticks ( as XMSY... said). you may need to raise your Northbridge voltage by 0.1V. This was required on my system (P965-DQ6) to run 4 sticks. Just plugging in 4 sticks, and having it work, without some voltage adjustments is a hit/miss even with the same MB

spikenog

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2007

I have not tried that yet. Will be doing so when I get home from work. I certainly appreciate all the help people have given me so far, will let you know how it turns out.

spikenog

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2007
I tried all the ideas from those given here...still nothing. I ordered a new board...the bad one is still within the time of the return policy.

Hoping a new board fixes the problem.

Thank you for the help.