[SOLVED] Trouble Overclocking i7-8700k

Oct 27, 2020
Hello, this is my first post here. Hopefully I can find some help :confused_old:

I have an i7-8700k that I am trying to overclock. It's struggling to do 4.7ghz even when I bring it all the way up to 1.43v. Most people I talk to can get much higher frequencies with less voltage. I'm very new to overclocking so I'm afraid I may be doing something wrong.

Relevant Specs:
  • i7-8700k, Vega 64, 16gb DDR4 3200 ram
  • Asrock Z370 Taichi motherboard
  • Cooler Master ML240 cooler and Fractal Design Meshify C Case < [Should be adequate cooling right? I've got lots of case fans as well]
I've tried using fixed mode at various voltages, as well as offset mode, which I don't really understand but was worth a try. Did I just lose the silicon lottery very very badly? Thanks for any help that you might be able to offer. Let me know if I need to post more specifics.

Edits:

I checked https://siliconlottery.com/pages/statistics and they say the top 99% of CPUs should be able to hit 4.9 at less voltage than mine... makes me think there's definitely a problem

Last edited:
Solution
Hello, this is my first post here. Hopefully I can find some help :confused_old:

I have an i7-8700k that I am trying to overclock. It's struggling to do 4.7ghz even when I bring it all the way up to 1.43v. Most people I talk to can get much higher frequencies with less voltage. I'm very new to overclocking so I'm afraid I may be doing something wrong.

Relevant Specs:
  • Cooler Master ML240 cooler and Fractal Design Meshify C Case < [Should be adequate cooling right? I've got lots of case fans as well]
I've tried using fixed mode at various voltages, as well as offset mode, which I don't really understand but was worth a try. Did I just lose the...

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
It's struggling to do 4.7ghz even when I bring it all the way up to 1.43v.

While there's no guarantee of higher clocks, you should be able to achieve 4.7GHz all-core.

Have you tried your OC without XMP enabled. There are knock-on effects, and you should OC your CPU first, then work on bringing the RAM up to speed. You're not always going to get rated XMP speeds when overclocking the CPU.... although I would've put money on 4.7-4.9GHz with 3200MHz being doable, it's never guaranteed.

Relevant Specs:
I've tried using fixed mode at various voltages, as well as offset mode, which I don't really understand but was worth a try. Did I just lose the silicon lottery very very badly? Thanks for any help that you might be able to offer. Let me know if I need to post more specifics.

Edits:

I checked https://siliconlottery.com/pages/statistics and they say the top 99% of CPUs should be able to hit 4.9 at less voltage than mine... makes me think there's definitely a problem

To determine if you did something wrong with your Overclock, explain how you Overclocked to 4.7GHz and the result.
Did you use a third party app or the Bios.?
Did you conduct a stress test at default frequency.?
Did you go from stock 3.7GHz strait to 4.7GHz in one hit.?
What PSU are you using.?
Did you set your LLC (Load Line Calibration) correctly.

If you want to know about Offsets then read this article by RAJA from ROG:
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?2162-Overclocking-Using-Offset-Mode-for-CPU-Core-Voltage

You need to know your Bios capability and learn how to Overclock correctly or you may be disappointed as you are.

Solution