Trouble Overclocking Need Help

tdmaster

Reputable
Jun 5, 2017
I have tried to oc my ram several times now and nothing is working. I tried using xmp and manually doing it and nothing works. My ram is 16gb(8x2) trident z 3200 memory. Timings are 16-18-18-38. I dont know what to do im stuck. The memory is stuck at 1054mhz. Any help would be much appreciated/

Solution
There are still options. Resetting the BIOS will clear the overclock, but it will also clear any setting that you set when making the overclock. After clearing those settings, use the motherboard UEFI to auto overclock the processor. See if that gets you past the bug.

If not, then you try again with a fresh install of Windows. Then see if you can get past the overclock bug (you may be able to reload Ryzen Master after the reinstall of Windows).

If it still isn't working, you can update the motherboard BIOS to the latest version.

Particularly on the motherboards for the Ryzen processors, the frequency of BIOS releases has been high to handle bugs like this. So the problem may have already been addressed.

After reviewing the...
What is your motherboard? XMP is for Intel processor motherboards.

For example in Asus motherboards, enter the BIOS. then go to menu item Ai Tweaker. At the top of the setting is Ai Overclock tuner, the default is Manual. Click on Manual and select XMP from the options. After that it is just a matter of selecting the XMP profile that you want.

Here is an article on setting the XMP on the top motherboard manufacturers including MSI. They are similar but with some differences in the UEFI. The motherboard manual has the specific details on your UEFI.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/7364/memory-scaling-on-haswell/2

Here is a good video on setting the XMP. It even uses an MSI UEFI in the video (several years old). And you can even search for "setting XMP" using your specific motherboard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTWEzTV8B54

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTWEzTV8B54

tdmaster

Reputable
Jun 5, 2017
OK thanks and this is a side problem and i dont know if its my mobo or my cpu but i have my 1700 clocked at 3.8ghz base, but sometimes with i boot my pc it sets my cpu turbo clock to 1.55. I dont know why this is happening and i would appreciate any help.

If you run CPU-Z, it will show you the that the processor is constantly jumping around from the base frequency to the turbo boost frequency based on the demand placed on the processor at any given time. In the Clocks section, it gives you the core speed, multiplier, and bus speed. (Note the speed is a misnomer- it is frequency). The multiplier is expressed as a range. If you multiply the the lower and upper ranges by the bus speed, that will give you the upper and lower processor frequencies that you will see on your system.

Assuming a 100 MHz (0.1 GHz) then a multiplier of 38 would give you your 3.8 GHz turbo boost. Then I would guess that you lower multiplier is around 15 for you to see 1.55 GHz.

tdmaster

Reputable
Jun 5, 2017

Ok but what im saying is that i have no control of when this happens. When i boot there is like an 80% chance the turbo will be stuck at 1.55ghz while the base is at 3.8ghz. So when i play a game it goes to turbo and clocks to 1.55ghz making my game run at potato level fps. I tried to disable cpu boost in the bios and it doesnt work. I tried using ryzen master which sometimes worked but i unistalled it thinking it may have conflicted with the turbo clock but after learning that wasnt the case i tried to reinstall ryzen master but a windows error is preventing me from doing so. I have no clue what is wrong and its extremely frustrating.

Edit: Even when the turbo isnt 1.55ghz the turbo is 3.75ghz and base 3.8. I dont understand

The R7-1700 according to AMD has a base clock of 3.0 GHz and Max Boost Clock of 3.7 GHz. I searched google fro this issue, and there are a lot of similar reports of this bug. There doesn't seem to be a uniform fix to it though. Here is an example.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/805277-ryzen-1700-will-not-overclock-past-36-ghz/?page=2#comment-10120555

The OP in this instance was able to get around it. I found examples of people clearing the CMOS, updating the BIOS, reinstalling Windows. The most likely fix was deleting Ryzen Master and reloading it.

I would also try deleting it, and just overclock using the motherboard UEFI. Then load Ryzen Master afterwards (if at all).

There are still options. Resetting the BIOS will clear the overclock, but it will also clear any setting that you set when making the overclock. After clearing those settings, use the motherboard UEFI to auto overclock the processor. See if that gets you past the bug.

If not, then you try again with a fresh install of Windows. Then see if you can get past the overclock bug (you may be able to reload Ryzen Master after the reinstall of Windows).

If it still isn't working, you can update the motherboard BIOS to the latest version.

Particularly on the motherboards for the Ryzen processors, the frequency of BIOS releases has been high to handle bugs like this. So the problem may have already been addressed.

After reviewing the various posts on google, people were getting past the bug. But there was no consistent fix. There are too many variables. The Auto overclock probably will work (leave all of the overclock settings on auto).

Solution