Trouble retrieving files from an old HD - location not available

Akk3r5

Commendable
Jan 4, 2017
TLDR: Cannot get files off an old HD by connecting it to another laptop. When trying to access the HD I get the message:

"Location is not available
G:\ is not accessible
access is denied".

Full explanation:

I have been asked by my aunt to retrieve some files from an old laptop than no longer powers on.

Easy I thought, I'll whip out the HD and attach it to my laptop and copy the data across. Initially I simply swapped out the HDs, but the laptop would not boot, and just hung on a black screen with a flashing underscore. I left it this way for 5-10 mins and noticed that the HD warmed up and felt like it was spinning.

I then acquired a USB to SATA cable and tried running it as an external drive whilst my laptop was booted up as usual. My laptop could then recognize the HD and offered a chance to scan and fix the drive. When I clicked this I received a message saying:

"Location is not available
G:\ is not accessible
access is denied".

I got the same message when trying to look at the drive through an explorer window. I wondered if it was a permissions issue so I set the admin account on the laptop to have permissions for the drive from the /properties/security menu. This took a while to complete and ran through the files so I'm confident that the files are there, however I am still receiving the same message.

The drive in question is a SATA 3 toshiba model that was running Windows 8 (8.1 I think). The laptop that I am trying to use it in is an ASUS P52F running Windows 7.

It's pretty urgent that I get these files. Any assistance greatly appreciated!

Solution
Solution