Trouble running Minecraft with a solid build?

_danielpwils01

Reputable
Feb 18, 2017
Just started up a Minecraft server with some buddies after a long while and realized the game doesn't run very well on my PC. I get high fps (usually in the 200-300 range) but it fluctuates a lot, making for a very choppy experience. Even when I limit my fps to 60, it fluctuates constantly. I have an RX 480 4G, an i5-6600k, and 16G of DDR4 3000 RAM, which I feel should be more than adequate. Ran a couple of tests on TimeSpy, my GPU score is usually around 4,100 while my CPU score is around 3,700. Do these seem like accurate results for my hardware or should they be higher? I can run most games fine so I'm not sure why Minecraft would cause a problem. Any information or advice is greatly appreciated.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
The scores have nothing to do with it.
You say you get super high fps, but it's "choppy"?
You mean like it lags or its just screen tearing?

If it's screen tearing, then limiting fps won't fix that, v-Sync would fix that.

If you're getting lag spikes then that's a whole other story.

_danielpwils01

Reputable
Feb 18, 2017

I realize the scores don't correlate with the performance aspect of Minecraft, I just always felt that my CPU scores were lower than normal when running benchmarks. And it's laggy. Even when I turn on V-Sync, like I said, the fps still fluctuates between 54-60 rapidly making for a choppy or "laggy" experience. You could call it stuttering, but it's constant.

_danielpwils01

Reputable
Feb 18, 2017

No, I am not running optifine. Still, I could run Minecraft just fine on my 7 year old PC before. And I always get the occasional stutter in games, but I figure that's pretty normal. Some are worse than others, such as PUBG, but for the most part, only the occasional stutter.