Trouble setting up 3 monitors in Windows 7

leprechaun424

Reputable
Dec 8, 2014
Hey all,

So I'm having trouble setting up my third monitor on Windows 7, and the only thing I can think of as to why it won't work is because one of my monitors is registering as an HDTV instead of a DFP. I have tried almost every possible configuration of connections(including DP solutions) and even when I have 2 of my monitors hooked up via DP, I still can't get it to display on all 3.

I have an R9 280A Double Dissipation graphics card, and the three monitors I'm using are as follows:
Acer 23" display
Acer 24" display
Hannspree 23" display

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I've spent hours trying to figure this out on my own.

Solution

That's correct.
For what it's worth, I use an R9 280x. I have had up to four screens plugged into it, and I have always had to use the dp outputs either direct or with active adapters.

leprechaun424

Reputable
Dec 8, 2014

I've got both MiniDP to HDMI and a MiniDP to DVI and I honestly can't tell if they're active or passive because that information isn't available on them online at least that I could find. I've also found in other threads that my graphics card should be able to support 3 independent monitors without needing any DP connections. I tried it with DVI + DVI + HDMI and that also didn't work.

While it is possible that you can run 3 displays without and active DP adapter, that is pretty unlikely. If it is true, you would likely need to have at least two of your displays be exactly the same. It is an extremely common for people to have difficulty getting a third display to work. While there could be any number of issues ranging from your gpu bios to faulty monitor inputs, the most likely problem (and easiest one to fix) is a lack of active adapters. If you can connect DP directly, do so-that is the best solution. If that is not possible, buy/borrow at least one adapter that is specifically advertised as "active."

leprechaun424

Reputable
Dec 8, 2014

Ok -- and if I get a monitor that has native DP, nothing should really go wrong at that point? In theory of course.

That's correct.
For what it's worth, I use an R9 280x. I have had up to four screens plugged into it, and I have always had to use the dp outputs either direct or with active adapters.

Solution