Trouble Sharing Between Windows 10 PC & Windows 7 PC

startropic1

Honorable
Oct 18, 2017
I'm having a lot of trouble sharing files between my Windows 10 PC and my Windows 7 PC.

The two machines are: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit and Windows 7 Pro 32-bit. (Both should be up to date for their respective versions of Windows)

Both are connected to the same router via ethernet. I have all sharing settings on for both machines. They are also both set to private, (not public), network. The Windows 10 PC can see the Windows 7 PC on the network, but when I click on the Win7 PC, the Win10 PC says it cannot connect giving error code 0x80070035. On the Win7 PC, it doesn't even see the Win10 PC, although it does come up under Media Devices.

Another issue I have found on the Win7 PC is that under Network ID settings I've tried a couple times to change from, "This computer is part of a business network..." to "This is a home computer...", it says a reboot is required to complete the change and after I click finish and reboot, I go back to this setting and find it hasn't been changed.

I'm sure this problem has been exacerbated by M$ removing the Homegroup function via recent Windows 10 updates.

I am able to access all shared folders on both PCs from my Playstation & Xbox systems (for media purposes), though.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Make sure these settings are set on both computers.
- Password protected
Advanced Sharing settings
-Turn on Network Discovery
- Turn on file and printer sharing
- Turn on sharing so anyone with network access can read and write files in the public folders
- Turn off password protected sharing.

Try to map a shared folder from one computer into another.
Open Computer and click on Map network ( under the address bar).
In the Drive box, click the drive letter you want to use.
In the Folder box, type \\computer-name\foldername (replace computer-name and foldername with the name of the computer and folder you want to access).
Click Finish.
You might be asked for the credentials (user name & password) of the computer you want to connect. You could choose to save those credentials if you don't want to enter them every time.

startropic1

Honorable
Oct 18, 2017

On Win7 PC mapping technically succeeds, but any attempts to actually access the mapped drive give the error message: Access denied.

On Win10 PC mapping fails with the error "The handle is invalid."

startropic1

Honorable
Oct 18, 2017

I'm not really having any system issues with the Windows 10 PC. I think the root of the problem is with the Windows 7 PC. I am able to share things from the Windows 10 PC pretty easily. I had trouble sharing with the Win7 PC before, then did a clean install of Windows 7 Pro on it again because of a different issue, and I'm still having trouble sharing with it.