[SOLVED] Trouble Shooting a NZXT PC; Powers Down between 1 - 5 min after booting

Nov 6, 2021
My girlfriend recently purchased a NZXT PC. I helped her do some research on pre-builts, and honestly came to the conclusion that we'd be risking most of the same issues no matter what we chose. So we chose NZXT. I do currently have an open ticket with them, but their customer service is slow to reply and honestly I have my doubts they'll be much help.

PC Specs: https://nzxt.com/product/streaming-pro-pc
  • Windows 10
  • AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • GeForce RTX 3080 TI
  • T-Force 2x16GB RAM; DDR4 3200
  • 1TB NVMe M.2 SSD
  • Gigabyte B450 AORUS PRO WIFI
  • XPG Core Reactor 750W Gold
So, the problem didn't occur right away. She was able to game on it for about 4 days before the issue started, and it started after about 3 hours into a gaming session. The PC crashed; a hanging black screen crash — the PC remained powered on.

We manually turned off the PC, and when turning it back on we noticed the "GeForce RTX" leds weren't lit up, however all the case fans were on, and the NZXT Kraken X63 was functioning. It remained just a hanging black screen with no signal. Eventually we got it to power on and boot (the "GeForce RTX" leds would be on when the PC would boot and pass POST), but eventually it would crash to that hanging black screen, although remained powered on. Eventually, during one boot attempt, I was able to run the Windows 10 Diagnostic, and after running the expanded test it found hardware issues, and when it rebooted, the "Your PC has Memory Issues" message popped up, so I felt like I had something to go on — my first thought was either RAM or the PSU.
Here's what I have done to troubleshoot:
  • Check each RAM stick individually in every slot; same hanging crash/potentially no boot.
  • Check confirmed working RAM from my own PC; same hanging crash/potentially no boot.
  • Check confirmed working GPU from my PC; same hanging crash/potentially no boot.
  • I have checked the connection of every cable in the case, I have double checked their thermal paste application and it looked fine.
  • I've re-seated the CMOS battery.
  • I've tried a different surge protector.
  • Most recently, I have tried a new PSU - a Seasonic Focus GX-850 850W Gold, and now we have a similar but different issue.
With the new PSU, the PC boots reliably and passes POST every time, however shortly after booting, it will shut down entirely. No error or crash message — it just powers down. The Seasonic is functioning as it should; the fan remains off while in Hybrid mode (no fan under 30% load), or is always on when when Normal mode is turned on. So now I'm stumped... I was really hoping the PSU would solve the problem, but all we have now is a different problem.

I apologize for the long read, but I wanted to be as thorough as possible. I'm looking for some new ideas about these problems (and I hope this is an acceptable place to post this).

Thanks for reading.

Solution
Solved the overheating issue, so now I'm back to the original problem of a hanging black screen crash. A power supply was unfortunately not the culprit of the issue.

Lutfi, to answer your question from earlier, it seems yes, I can stay on the BIOS screen indefinitely, and the version is F1.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

For a brand that have their own PSU range, I'm surprised they put an XPG PSU in their own prebuilt.

That being said, can you get into BIOS and remain there indefinitely? While here, can you check and see what your motherboard's BIOS version is? Don't apologize, a long descriptive post is better than a wall of text with no relevance to the issue at hand. We ask users to help us in order to help them! ;)

When you removed the CMOS battery was the system disconnected from the wall and monitor, before being replaced after 30 minutes?

Nov 6, 2021
Thank you for the reply — I doubt I'll be able to remain in the BIOS indefinitely, as I think I've just found out the problem. But to answer your other question, everything was disconnected, but I only waited about 15 minutes.

So, I was able to check CAM (NZXT's proprietary software for monitoring their hardware processes), and it seems that the Kraken X63 is no longer functioning (or CAM isn't reporting it), and the Ryzen 7 is reaching temps of 107c under a ~30% load, which is obviously causing the shut down. I'm not sure if this temp was occurring with the old PSU installed.

Edit: So, the radiator fans for the Kraken are definitely on, but I'm not sure if it's at full functionality.

Edit #2: Ryzen 7 is reaching 113c within 2 minutes of start-up. There's no way that can be normal even if the fan isn't functioning properly, correct? I have limited knowledge of AMD cpus, and I know the Ryzen 7 can run a little hot, but that can't be right. Could the new PSU be causing such a high temp?

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2021
Solved the overheating issue, so now I'm back to the original problem of a hanging black screen crash. A power supply was unfortunately not the culprit of the issue.

Lutfi, to answer your question from earlier, it seems yes, I can stay on the BIOS screen indefinitely, and the version is F1.

Solution