[SOLVED] trouble understanding gpu-z

indianajune1

Reputable
Jul 31, 2018
hey guys , sorry if this is a noob question but I just got a factory overclocked 2070 super and I notice in gpu-z that the prefcap reason is usually grey for idle with little slices of green for pwr every now and again. on my old 1070 it pretty consistently said vrel. so I just want to make sure that this is ok/normal. if I understand correctly it just means the card is hitting its maximum power (which is a good thing ) and I can up that in say afterburning if I want ? I mean I'm getting good performance, if anything slightly bottlenecked by my i7700k. View: https://imgur.com/gallery/LIKMxJe

Solution
If you are slightly bottlenecked, which you probably almost certainly ARE, by your CPU, then increasing the performance of the graphics card is a complete waste of time. It's not going to get you any more FPS if the CPU is what's holding you back. In this case, there's a good chance of that. It's very doubtful, especially if you are running at less than Ultra/Highest settings, that your 7700k is completely able to keep up. If your FPS goes UP when you reduce game quality settings, then it's a GPU problem, not a CPU problem. If your FPS remains unchanged when you reduce your quality settings, then your CPU is not capable enough to offer any gains and is in fact your bottleneck.

If the GPU is the bottleneck, THEN, and ONLY then, would...
If you are slightly bottlenecked, which you probably almost certainly ARE, by your CPU, then increasing the performance of the graphics card is a complete waste of time. It's not going to get you any more FPS if the CPU is what's holding you back. In this case, there's a good chance of that. It's very doubtful, especially if you are running at less than Ultra/Highest settings, that your 7700k is completely able to keep up. If your FPS goes UP when you reduce game quality settings, then it's a GPU problem, not a CPU problem. If your FPS remains unchanged when you reduce your quality settings, then your CPU is not capable enough to offer any gains and is in fact your bottleneck.

If the GPU is the bottleneck, THEN, and ONLY then, would overclocking the graphics card offer you any benefits at all. I'd worry about determining those factors before worrying about any of these other considerations.

Solution

indianajune1

Reputable
Jul 31, 2018

If the GPU is the bottleneck, THEN, and ONLY then, would overclocking the graphics card offer you any benefits at all. I'd worry about determining those factors before worrying about any of these other considerations.
Hey thanks for the response. Is there a problem though ? I’m more concerned With the prefcap reason being idle most of the time with mixed in green patches of “ pwr “ since my old card was always “ vrel “. It’s a brand new card and I want to make sure it’s performing correctly. Especially Cause it does seem to down clock from 1995mhz to 1980mhz when it hits a “ pwr “ patch. I mean it seems to be performing great otherwise 100-165 FPS on battlefield v at 2k. I’m more tying to understand prefercap. Hate for that to be a sign somethings will be wrong when I do upgrade my cpu or whatever

indianajune1

Reputable
Jul 31, 2018

If the GPU is the bottleneck, THEN, and ONLY then, would overclocking the graphics card offer you any benefits at all. I'd worry about determining those factors before worrying about any of these other to understand So thanks. I was concerned With the green pwr slices because the card down clocks by 10mhz when it hits those. But if I’m not mistaking this might all be signs of the bottle neck with my i7700k especially the idol Grey. Which is good news cause I plan to upgrade. Just wanna make sure he new card is ok

After doing some more research I think you actually answered my question and I was too naïve to understand So thanks. I was concerned With the green pwr slices because the card down clocks by 10mhz when it hits those. But if I’m not mistaking this might all be signs of the bottleneck with my i7700k especially the idol Grey. Which is good news cause I plan to upgrade. Just wanted make sure he new card is ok.

Last edited by a moderator:

TRENDING THREADS