[SOLVED] Trouble upgrading integrated graphics card

Jun 18, 2020
I have a Dell Optiplex 760 mid tower, running the duo processers with 4gb of ram, on a 240 watt psu. Yes I know, stone age, but it runs like a top after all these years. I just wanted to do a simple upgrade on graphics to easily run a game like Sims 3 with expansions. It already runs the base game fine. So I purchased a Radeon 7570. When I started to install, I found the my monitor connection was VGA, the card was Dvi. Then I purchased a dvi to vga adapter.

After I finished install in pci slot, as soon as I supplied the computer with power(without pushing the power button).... the card can spin and the computer seemed like it was going to boot-up on its own. Then it seemed to restart a couple times. Nothing ever happened onscreen except darkness. The numbered lights on the front panel don't behave like a usual boot. Any suggestions on what my problem might be? A couple years ago, I tried a geforce 730 gt, it had no problems booting up and install drivers... But it crashed randomly every 15 minutes or so. Everything goes back to normal with the cards removed.

I appreciate any help

Solution
The PCI-Ex16 slot will supply UP TO 75 watts of power unless the manufacturer has reconfigured it for a low-power system in which case, it may only allow for as little as 25 watts. I'm not finding any limitations in any of the specs I'm finding, but they may be there or it may be just that your power supply is too old to provide the necessary power.

-Wolf sends
D

Deleted member 1272431

PSU can't handle that kind of GPU.
For the radeon, they recommend 400W or higher. You find eerything on the official website. Be careful before installing new hardware as these shocks may damage the rest of the hardware.

Reactions: Kenawms
Jun 18, 2020
Thanks. It doesn't seem like the psu can handle ANY gpu. The 730 gt supposed to draw about 38 watts. The Radeon a bit more, but my understanding the pci is supposed to supply a 75 watt maximum. The psu must be pretty weak

Wolfshadw

Titan
The PCI-Ex16 slot will supply UP TO 75 watts of power unless the manufacturer has reconfigured it for a low-power system in which case, it may only allow for as little as 25 watts. I'm not finding any limitations in any of the specs I'm finding, but they may be there or it may be just that your power supply is too old to provide the necessary power.

-Wolf sends

Solution
Jun 18, 2020
Well, there's a an angle I didn't consider. The pci slot doesn t show any label about being limited to 25 or 35 watts like I've seen elsewhere... But Dell may have put a limitation on the pci slot....and if so,doesn't that mean the computer is worthless for upgrades like psu? The slot will be limited no matter the psu watts. Or could a different card be powered directly from a sufficient psu?

Wolfshadw

Titan
I've not tried it. I don't know anyone that has, cards that require more than 75 watts have the extra power ports on them. If a card doesn't require more than 75 watts, then it's not going to have a aux power connection.

Graphic card manufacturers always assume up to 75 watts of power from the PCI Express slot (and it's PCI-E not PCI).

Additionally, without a spec of your motherboard, a power supply upgrade may not be viable either. Dell has used proprietary main power connectors as well.

-Wolf sends

Reactions: Kenawms