[SOLVED] Trouble Using Fosmon HDMI Switch to Connect Computer to 4K TV and Computer Monitor

Jul 14, 2020
Hey there guys, wasn't entirely sure where to go to find help for this little problem that I'm having. I'm trying to use a HDMI switch to connect my desktop PC to my TV and my computer monitor at the same time. Of course, I know that I can't display on the monitor and the TV at the same time, that's not the issue. I'm using a Fosmon HDMI BI-Direction Switch. It has the ability to plug in one input device (the computer) and then output to two devices (TV and monitor). The reason that I'm needing to do this is because I have two monitors hooked up to my PC, and only one HDMI device out of the graphics card on the PC. I have a Vizio M558-G1 for my TV and the monitor that is plugged into the computer as well is a Dell P2214H which has a maximum resolution of 1920x1080. The switch that I'm using has the ability to output 4K x 2K according to the listing for it on Amazon where I bought it. I had bought a Techole switch for the same purposes, but that was only able to display 4K @ 30hz, which wasn't working for me when trying to connect to the TV because it could only output at most 1920x1080.

So here's the problem: I connect the computer, the monitor and the TV to the switch. Computer in input, monitor and TV in output. When I have it switched to the monitor, it displays fine. Then, I push the button to swap over to the TV and it brings it up at 1920x1080 instead of the full recommended resolution of the TV. It also doesn't tell me that screen 2 is the TV, but is still listing itself as if it is the Dell P2214H. When I try to switch to my monitor, the TV loses the signal and then nothing happens on the monitor. It just goes black. I have to unplug the monitor from the switch and then replug the monitor into the switch. This connects the signal properly to the monitor. By the way, I have to do the same thing with the TV to make it detect the PC in its 4K resolution. Why is this? Is there any way that I can make it so that it switches back and forth between the TV and monitor better without me needing to unplug the cables each time to make it work properly? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Solution
Before looking at a possible switch issue (which is most likely since that is a pretty cheap thing you got), you said you have one HDMI out on the computer, however the monitor you say you have does not have any HDMI ports, so how are you connecting that HDMI cable and switch to the monitor? If you are using some adapter that can be causing issues also.

Input Connectors
DVI-D, VGA, DisplayPort <--- No HDMI listed

Your best solution would be to just buy a basic use video card that has two video outputs, to the monitor and HDMI for the TV. You did not give any info about the computer but just about any desktop should be able to fit a low profile low power card. This oen...
Before looking at a possible switch issue (which is most likely since that is a pretty cheap thing you got), you said you have one HDMI out on the computer, however the monitor you say you have does not have any HDMI ports, so how are you connecting that HDMI cable and switch to the monitor? If you are using some adapter that can be causing issues also.

Input Connectors
DVI-D, VGA, DisplayPort <--- No HDMI listed

Your best solution would be to just buy a basic use video card that has two video outputs, to the monitor and HDMI for the TV. You did not give any info about the computer but just about any desktop should be able to fit a low profile low power card. This oen https://www.newegg.com/msi-geforce-gt-710-gt-710-2gd3-lp/p/N82E16814127932?Item=N82E16814127932 or check used sites for a GT 710 or 730 card with HDMI out.

Solution