Trouble with 4k netflix

Tensai30

Respectable
Jul 4, 2016
I've been trying to get netflix to play in 4k on my pc. I'm uisng a hdcp 2.2 compatable 4k tv and a gtx 1080ti with windows 10 x64 1607 (anniversary)latest video drivers. I'm using the netflix app from the windows store. After forcing the stream to the highest bitrate with ctrl+alt+shift+s I still see 1920x1080 when using ctrl+alt+shift+d. Do I need creators update?
Solution: Drivers. Need to use 384.80. More recent drivers might also work but I have yet to find one.

Solution
not sure if anyone is still following this but I found this
https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/6shkty/solved_netflix_4k_with_an_nvidia_card/
according to this thread it only works on an older driver. I will test it later to confirm but not thrilled about using such old drivers just to get netflix in 4k. Somewhat disappointing if true.

Tensai30

Respectable
Jul 4, 2016
Thanks for the quick reply. The model is Sharp LC-43N7000u and I'm connecting it with a 2.0 certified 18gb/s hdmi cable. It's plugged into one of the 4k 60hz hdmi inputs on the back.

Tensai30

Respectable
Jul 4, 2016

That's not available on the fall creators update? I'm not using a browser though. I'm using the netflix app from windows store.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
You need to use the edge browser to watch 4K netflix. Windows netflix app doesn't support 4K AFAIK.

Edit: Hmm, according to netflix you should be able to use the app for 4K as well...
You definitely have the HDMI cable connected to your 1080 Ti, not the motherboard HDMI output, right?

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador

It's not new, you've been able to view 4K netflix on PC with the edge browser for a year or more.

Tensai30

Respectable
Jul 4, 2016

It's definitely connected to the 1080ti.

Tensai30

Respectable
Jul 4, 2016
Already tried that. Unfortunately same result. Is creators update required? Anyone using anything prior to the creators update able to get 4k working? What version of Windows are you guys on?

Tensai30

Respectable
Jul 4, 2016

I'm using the 387.92 drivers which are very recent. I avoided the creators update since it seemed to be unstable and hurt game performance. Pretty much I would always see people having game issues when I was never having any on 1603 enterprise. I guess I could make the update to creators or fall creators but before reinstalling my OS, does anyone have a link to something showing creators update brings 4k netflix? I haven't been able to find anything indicating anniversary can't.

Also, anyone gaming on either the fall creators or creators update? Would you say the fall creators is more stable? I've heard about having to disable the game bar to stop the stuttering. Anyone have any info on everything that needs to be done to make performance like what it was on 1607? I really need all the performance I can get at 4k.

Tensai30

Respectable
Jul 4, 2016

3840x2160 I really have no clue as to why this isn't working and about to go back to 1607 anniversary because 1709 is awful. Appreciate the effort guys. I think I'm gonna stick to the netflix app on my tv. At least that does 4k. Just so odd this doesn't work when it should. If anyone has any other ideas I'd appreciate it though.

Tensai30

Respectable
Jul 4, 2016

I was able to get through a whole episode of stranger things without it ever leaving 1080p. I even tried letting it buffer. The thing is, I can get it to work just fine on the built in netflix app on my TV. Absolutely no problem getting that to work in 4k.

Tensai30

Respectable
Jul 4, 2016

I was referring to the netflix app on my tv(it's a smart tv with netflix preinstalled). That definitely has 4k and I can really see the difference. 4k content looks significantly better than 1080p content. The windows store app doesn't have really anything and looks similar to the android/iphone app.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador

Literally the next sentence after the one you quoted is:
"An upcoming Nvidia driver is going to change that situation somewhat, though there are still some significant limitations on 4K streaming support."

That article is from May, and 4K netflix on Geforce 10 cards (without a Kaby Lake CPU) has been since been confirmed to work:
http://techreport.com/news/32195/nvidia-384-76-drivers-quietly-enable-uhd-netflix-on-pascal