[SOLVED] Trouble with activating XMP profile using G.Skill Ripjaw V 4000mhz

Geoff Leven

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2013
Firstly specs:

Gigabyte z390 aorus elite rev 1.0 (bios F9)
i9 9900KF
G.Skill Ripkjaws F4-4000C18D-16GVK (timings 18-22-22-42)

So, the default XMP profile that I try to activate in the bios just doesnt boot period, the furtherest Ive gotten is the cycling windows loading circle then it freezes.
After some initial digging I found this PDF (https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Memory/mb_memory_z390-aorus-master_191113.pdf) mentioning the memory I currently have which has different timings, which are: 18-19-19-39 @ 1.35v

So I just simply adjusted the timings and voltage to match the information in the PDF and now I can boot to windows. However checking the memory info with CPU-Z
it is reporting memory is running @ 1800mhz. I understand I need to double this number which gives me a working clock speed of 3600mhz.

I have zero experience overclocking memory nor understand how timings work, actually its going to be some good research for myself over the xmas break.
In the meantime could someone possibly shed some light on this matter and tell me if there is any hope of getting RAM running at its advertised speed of 4000mhz.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
You can try doing the following. Enable the XMP profile and then manually set the memory speed to 4000mhz in the BIOS advanced memory settings. Leave the timings and voltage at the values set by the XMP profile. Don't set the memory timings at what the motherboard manufacturer has on some list, set it at what the memory manufacturer SAYS it is supposed to be set to based on the memory kit model. It's best to simply enable the XMP profile and then if it is not showing it set as 4000mhz, manually set it to 4000mhz.

But, there is a caveat and it is LIKELY the reason that it is not running at the desired speed, and that is the fact that G.Skill does not list ANY 4000mhz memory kits as being compatible with the Z390 Aorus Elite. The fastest...
You can try doing the following. Enable the XMP profile and then manually set the memory speed to 4000mhz in the BIOS advanced memory settings. Leave the timings and voltage at the values set by the XMP profile. Don't set the memory timings at what the motherboard manufacturer has on some list, set it at what the memory manufacturer SAYS it is supposed to be set to based on the memory kit model. It's best to simply enable the XMP profile and then if it is not showing it set as 4000mhz, manually set it to 4000mhz.

But, there is a caveat and it is LIKELY the reason that it is not running at the desired speed, and that is the fact that G.Skill does not list ANY 4000mhz memory kits as being compatible with the Z390 Aorus Elite. The fastest memory kit is shows as having compatibility on that board is four 3866mhz kits as seen here on the G.Skill memory configurator. Gigabyte might say that the board will support up to 4000mhz kits, and it might, from other manufacturers OR even from G.Skill with a lot of manual finagling, but according to G.Skill there are NO G.Skill kits compatible at speeds faster than 3866mhz and if there were you can be pretty sure that G.Skill would have them listed because memory is what they do primarily whereas memory is a secondary consideration for the motherboard manufacturer.

So it's possible that you CAN'T get that kit to run at it's full advertised speed and you might have to manually configure the memory at the specs of one of those other 3866mhz kits, whichever is closest in model and specifications to what you have.

By specification your memory kit SHOULD be 18-22-22-42, as seen here: https://www.gskill.com/product/165/184/1562837577/F4-4000C18D-16GVK

Which you can probably set them, if 4000mhz doesn't work, to 3866mhz with 18-19-19-39 timings and 1.35v, and be fine. The difference in performance will probably only be measurable in synthetic benchmarks, you'll never notice the difference yourself, but at least TRY the manual 4000mhz first. Yes, it will show up as "2000mhz" because it is DDR, double data rate type memory.

Also, make ABSOLUTELY certain you are installing them in the second and fourth slots, A2 and B2, which are the second and fourth slots over starting at the CPU and working towards the edge of the motherboard, with the fourth slot being the one closest to the edge of the motherboard. Not being in those slots can cause all kinds of issues including a lack of dual channel operation and an inability to run at the desired XMP profile settings. For only two DIMMs, those are ALWAYS the slots you want to use for any consumer dual channel motherboard from the last ten to fifteen years or so.

Solution
When you choose OC RAM you have to consider the officially tested/rated frequency of the IMC supported frequency which in your case is 2666MHz.
Although 19-9900kf scales well it is a lot to ask of the IMC for 4000MHz OC and there is no guarantee you can achieve the RAMs rated frequency. You may have to accept 3600MHz with the Timings and voltage you have with stability.

It may be possible to reach 4000MHz however you will have to do it in Bios and considering the complexity of the differing Primary, Secondary and Tertiary Timings (Much like rocket science) the frustration of getting there is not worth the little gains you may get and still be stable. Your research will show you this.

There are third party products such as the DRAM Calculator that can help but not always.

Geoff Leven

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2013

But, there is a caveat and it is LIKELY the reason that it is not running at the desired speed, and that is the fact that G.Skill does not list ANY 4000mhz memory kits as being compatible with the Z390 Aorus Elite. The fastest memory kit is shows as having compatibility on that board is four 3866mhz kits as seen here on the G.Skill memory configurator. Gigabyte might say that the board will support up to 4000mhz kits, and it might, from other manufacturers OR even from G.Skill with a lot of manual finagling, but according to G.Skill there are NO G.Skill kits compatible at speeds faster than 3866mhz and if there were you can be pretty sure that G.Skill would have them listed because memory is what they do primarily whereas memory is a secondary consideration for the motherboard manufacturer.

So it's possible that you CAN'T get that kit to run at it's full advertised speed and you might have to manually configure the memory at the specs of one of those other 3866mhz kits, whichever is closest in model and specifications to what you have.

By specification your memory kit SHOULD be 18-22-22-42, as seen here: https://www.gskill.com/product/165/184/1562837577/F4-4000C18D-16GVK

Which you can probably set them, if 4000mhz doesn't work, to 3866mhz with 18-19-19-39 timings and 1.35v, and be fine. The difference in performance will probably only be measurable in synthetic benchmarks, you'll never notice the difference yourself, but at least TRY the manual 4000mhz first. Yes, it will show up as "2000mhz" because it is DDR, double data rate type memory.

Also, make ABSOLUTELY certain you are installing them in the second and fourth slots, A2 and B2, which are the second and fourth slots over starting at the CPU and working towards the edge of the motherboard, with the fourth slot being the one closest to the edge of the motherboard. Not being in those slots can cause all kinds of issues including a lack of dual channel operation and an inability to run at the desired XMP profile settings. For only two DIMMs, those are ALWAYS the slots you want to use for any consumer dual channel motherboard from the last ten to fifteen years or so.

Hi DarkBreeze,

Thanks for the speedy reply, you gave me a lot of very good info for me to digest there. So from your suggestions as I am writing this I am in the first sucessful boot running the following settings in the bios:

XMP profile ON
MANUALLY set timings to - 18-22-22-42
Multiplyer set to 4000mhz

Doing this has given the result as you pointed out from the G.Skill weppages of 1933mhz, or 3866mhz. I have not tested a game yet as when I tried running a game before I made this initial post it was crashing, so here goes...

Will post back soon.

D

Deleted member 2838871

Will post back soon.

This is pretty ironic. I just built my PC this weekend with the exact same ram... and mine's at 4000 mhz and I haven't done anything other than click the XMP button. As Darkbreeze said the likely reason is your board. No issues with my MSI Z490 Unify.

Let us know how it works out.

G.Skill lists compatible memory kits up to 4600mhz as being compatible with a variety of Z490 boards including the Unify. That platform also has a higher natively supported memory speed as well. Results from one can't really be compared to the other as I assume you know already, but yes, it is definitely shown that G.Skill does not specify any supported memory kits over 3866mhz for that Z390 board while yours shows support up to 4600mhz.

Sometimes it's affected by what CPU is installed as well, as some models will have a lower supported maximum speed regardless of what board is in use, but with a 9900kf and Z board, that should not be a factor. It should support fully up to 4266mhz based on the motherboard manufacturers specs, but again, G.Skill is simply saying "we don't have any VALIDATED kits higher than 3866mhz for that board", regardless that Gigabyte says it CAN support higher speeds. Also, that is ONLY what has been validated by G.Skill, but they generally validate anything that can possibly run on a given board so the fact that nothing higher is shown either means they never tested higher speed kits because none were available at the time they did all their validation testing or none were found to be compatible enough to validate. There is STILL sometimes room for manually configuring the memory, but as Meanmachine (And myself) have already said, the performance difference you'd get between what it's at now and 4000mhz is not likely enough to be worth the effort.

If you can get it stable at 3866mhz, and it will pass FOUR PASSES of Memtest86, I'd call it good and go on with life unless you enjoy things like sand in your socks, splinters in your eyelids or pouring alcohol on open wounds, because that is about how enjoyable it is to do the very lengthy validation testing that is recommended when running any configuration where you've had to manual assign the memory speed, timings or voltage, if it is different than what the profile specifications were.

Geoff Leven

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2013
So, update.

Been playing Cyberpunk for the last few hours without any crashes or other issues in windows. So it definately appears that the the maximum speed this RAM kit from G.Skill is capable of is indeed 3866mhz as stated on their website.
Its a bit of a bummer though, I thought I had done my research by checking the supported clock speed on the Gigabyte website and buying appropriate RAM to match the speed. I wonder what my chances are of returning the RAM would be?
As no where on the packaging or on the website where I bought it from mentions the exact specifications to get the advertised speed to work. I know Ultimately its propbably negligence on my end I should have done more research,
but then again I thought I was set. either way I'll try to return it for store credit or sell it elsewhere and purchase RAM from another vendor that supports Higher speed RAM for my board.

Big thanks to Darkbreeze!(y)

To revisit a point which you neither confirmed nor denied, WHICH slots, EXACTLY, are the installed in? I've seen an awful LOT of people who've had situations similar to yours through the past five or six years, especially on DDR4 platforms, that were in the end able to achieve what they were trying by simply moving the DIMMs to the correct slots. I've outlined which slots those are in an older post above, but you never responded to that particular question that I saw so perhaps you missed it.

If they are NOT in the second and fourth slots over from the CPU, move them there and try again because you might be able to get them to run at the correct speed with them there, maybe.

Also, I'd update the BIOS to F10g and try again in that way, as there are both CPU and voltage fixes in that BIOS version as well as some memory compatibility issues addressed. Keep in mind, when a new BIOS version is released they only outline the greater details in the revision notes, they don't mention EVERYTHING that gets addressed, so sometimes there may be a fix for something you're having a problem with even though they don't specifically call it out.

Not the greatest Z390 board out there either. A higher end board might enable you to push those sticks to their full capabilities, and then again it might not, but also might not matter as we've said the difference is not going to be all that great. Glad you've been able to get it where you have. 3866mhz is definitely better than 3600mhz.

Geoff Leven

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2013
Sorry, yes I should have mentioned some other things you pointed out. RAM modules are in slots 2 and 4, going from left to right, CPU being on left side and edge of the mainboard being the right
(acutally the manual suggests the modules can be in either 1 and 3 or 2 and 4). Also actually I did try to update the BIOS via Gigabyte's windows tool. But its stupid software.
The method I choose to update the BIOS was 'update from server' so I can only assume it will do as it suggested. However after flashing, the BIOS was exactly the same.
I may try again choosing the BIOS maunally. I believe there is 1 newer BIOS available, the F10g.

I'll report back after flashing to the new BIOS.

Geoff Leven

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2013
A further note, is there ANY RAM out there that my board will support a certified RAM clock speed of 4266? Im having trouble finding any. The mainboard specs webpage (https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z390-AORUS-ELITE-rev-10/sp#sp)
say it supports speeds upto 4266, but the Gigabyte QVL (https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Memory/mb_memory_z390-designare_200103.pdf) only mentions a top speed of 4133mhz?..

I also got in touch with the place of purchase, they are happy to replace the RAM with more appropriate RAM minus a restocking fee. Im happy with that.

Even the motherboard QVL list only shows ONE single kit at 4133mhz that is compatible, which doesn't mean that is the only kit out there at that speed that CAN work, just that THAT is the only kit they tested. Motherboard manufacturers never test more than a handful of kits at different speeds, if that, from each manufacturer. Often the QVL list sampling is less than 10% of what is actually out there and validated as compatible by each various memory manufacturer, but if it is ON the QVL list, there should be no doubt that it works IF is says it is validated at the XMP speed and not just that the it "worked" but leaves out the fact that it only worked at the native speed. They used to do that a lot. These days if it lists it's XMP speed then it's USUALLY been tested at that speed but I like to see that it says validated at XMP to be sure.

This kit is validated at 4133mhz, but it's only a single 8GB memory module and the fact that they show ONLY a single module means that it will probably not run at that speed if you put two of them together, not that you should ever do that anyhow. You should ALWAYS buy memory in a matched set of the full capacity you think you will ever need to run. Adding additional DIMMs later down the road is always a roll of the dice at best.

HX441C19PB3/8

This kit is validated at it's XMP speed of 4000mhz, but isn't available anywhere.

CMK16GX4M2B4000C19R

The rest from the QVL list are 3866 or lower, or are higher capacity kits of 32 and 64GB, and mostly not available anymore anyhow. That is the problem with the motherboard QVL list aside from having few listed models.

Corsair on the other hand, shows these kits as validated for that board, and seem to be available.

https://www.newegg.com/corsair-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820236587

https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Vengeance-PC4-32000-Optimized-Memory/dp/B07XC3FKKN

Crucial shows a few kits over 4000mhz but they are RIDICULOUSLY expensive by comparison.

G.Skill shows nothing compatible above 3866mhz.

Geoff Leven

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2013
Which 1 kit from the motherboard QVL shows its compatible? I dont think I am reading the QVL correctly. At the top of the list I can see Corsair, G.skill, HyperX and Adata, but yes these are only 8gb sticks. Am I correct in concluding that if I were to buy a single 8gb stick and later buy another 8gb stick there would be a good chance they would not run at the same speed, rather slower, when paired together? So as you said, better solution is to buy the kit at advertised and certified speeds to avoid this whole issue in the first place.

With the 2 Corsair examples you provided, what EXACT validation is giving you piece of mind that they are certified for my Aorus Elite z390 board? is it THIS info as found on the webpage for the RAM?
Compatibility

(https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ...EANCE-LPX/p/CMK16GX4M2Z4000C18#tab-tech-specs)
"Intel 300 Series,Intel 400 Series,Intel 400 Series,Intel X299,AMD X570

Heat Spreader

"Anodized Aluminum
Package Memory Format

DIMM
Performance Profile

XMP 2.0"

Buying the fastest possible RAM for my system has been a real challenge so far, but a great learining experience.

Yes, don't buy single sticks and then expect to be able to add ANOTHER single stick, even if it's the exact same part number, later, and have it work out. With high speed DDR4, the chances are very good that it won't. Buy ONLY in kits that total the full required capacity whenever possible. That is the only way in which DIMMs are guaranteed to work together, if they come together in one kit which has been tested for compatibility at the factory AND is on some kind of validation or QVL list. Both. Otherwise, things CAN work, but there are no guarantees of any kind.

The EXACT validation that they are intended for use with your motherboard and are validated at the XMP speed is the Corsair memory finder application, here:

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/memoryfinder?type=motherboard

r2Tt3Hf.png

Geoff Leven

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2013
Quick update, the latest BIOS for my board seems to be less compatible, using the settings I mentioned before:

XMP profile ON
MANUALLY set timings to - 18-22-22-42
Multiplyer set to 4000mhz

Dont seem to work now using the new bios F10g

Another upodate: Maybe I was wrong, I let my system boot once into windows first using default RAM settings, then applied manual timings again, now its booting to windows

At 4000mhz? Download and install HWinfo. Run it. Choose the "sensors only" option. Unselect the "summary option". Scroll down to the memory section and see what it says or take a screenshot. Or, run CPU-Z and take screenshots of the memory tab and the SPD tab with one of the DIMM slots that has memory installed in it selected from the drop down menu at the top right of the tab. That will tell us what's actually going on with the memory configuration AFTER the POST process.

Geoff Leven

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2013
Ahh sorry no, its not running 4000mhz, still only 3866. I meant I did the same steps as before including setting the multiplyer in the bios to 4000, same timings 18-22-22-42, but it still only gives me 3866mhz.
I'm going to see if I can get that Corsair vengeance RAM somewhere local in the next couple weeks.

Sorry we were NOT able to get it running at 4000mhz though. One last thing that you might try is bumping the DRAM (Memory) voltage up by about .020v. Potentially possibly giving a small voltage increase to the VCCIO and VCCSA as well as those can both affect memory performance. You may have to do a little investigation to see what the recommended range is for this generation but most Intel platforms from the last five years are somewhere in the range of .95v to 1.35v and I generally like to set these at about 1.1v for overclocking the CPU and to bolster the memory controller if I'm making changes to the speed or timings.

Furthermore, THIS might be helpful to you at some point as well.

https://www.overclock.net/threads/comprehensive-memory-overclocking-guide.1630388/#post-26096937

Geoff Leven

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2013
Just a quick update,

I decided to take the RAM back. My reasoning for trying this RAM was to see if there was any improvment over the RAM I had already which was running at 3200mhz. There was none that I could feel/see. Will be using the money instead for the next generation of CPU's that intel hopefully release first quater next year.

Hope everyone is well and having a nice break, Thanks again Darkbreeze, hope to hear from you again in the forums. :D:D

The new CPUs that Intel will be releasing are already seen to be turds. They have FEWER cores than the 10th Gen Intel CPUs, across the board, from what they've indicated so far, and the performance numbers from early release engineering samples (Which of course are NOT going to have the exact same performance as final products, but which WILL be somewhat indicated of expected performance just like all early samples usually are) shows them to have worse performance than the current Ryzen 5000 series CPUs by a fair margin AND are actually, so far at least, even worse than the existing Intel products.

As always I'd recommend waiting before leaning one way or the other since Intel claims there will be double digit IPC improvements over 10th Gen models, even though it is STILL just a 14nm+++++++ refinement, until actual reviews of these products are available, but I suspect that existing Ryzen 5000 series products are going to remain MUCH more appealing when it comes to performance, thermal design power (TDP, watts, power consumption) and price, than the Intel parts are unless Intel makes a major shift from past positioning on market price. I also wouldn't expect them to be any more widely available anytime soon after they launch than the Ryzen parts are either, because Intel doesn't have a very good track record when it comes to the last three generational launches in terms of availability.

Geoff Leven

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2013
Igor is a brilliant guy, but just like everybody out there you sometimes have take some of his ideas with a grain of salt until you see the finding duplicated elsewhere. I'm not saying he's wrong, but I haven't seen anybody else reporting similar findings yet. Obviously, just about everything benefits from better memory performance IF it benefits from better CPU performance, and visa versa, since they are so closely tied together.