[SOLVED] Trouble with Alienware Laptop

tasmanianwolfe

Reputable
Aug 31, 2015
Alienware 17 R5
i9-8950HK
GTX 1080
32GB RAM

So I can't figure this one out and neither can Alienware support, and I've even shipped the laptop to them, so I'm relying on you guys and you've never failed me. To start, I'm probably not using the laptop as intended. I'm using it primarily as a desktop now connected to a 34in Alienware monitor, wired keyboard and mouse, and a couple external hard drives.

The problem I'm having is when I have too many things connected and running at the same time everything starts glitching, the keyboard and mouse start disconnecting and reconnecting and I've even gotten the BSOD a few times.

These problems magnify if I try connecting bluetooth peripherals like headphones or an xbox controller. These problems were much worse, and included several other problems, when I initially bought the computer due to Aliewares terrible software that came preinstalled.

Alienware has since replaced just about all the hardware, the "smart board" I think they call it which includes the Mobo, CPU, and GPU and replaced some heat sinks. The problem isn't as severe as it was before since they replaced these and reinstalled Windows without the Alienware software, but it's still there, especially with the bluetooth peripherals. I know it's a laptop, not a desktop, but it's a $3000 laptop and I haven't had these kinds of problems with a $500 desktop. Thanks for the help guys

Solution
You'll need to go with process of elimination. Start with just keyboard and mouse. Use it until the issue would have definitely occurred. If it doesn't occur, plug one more device in and use the system some more. Keep on doing this until the system has the issue to find the offending device.
I would also try turning off all power management settings for plugged in drives as well. Basically, don't let anything that is using one of those ports to go to sleep.

tasmanianwolfe

Reputable
Aug 31, 2015
Hmmm.
I'd look to the hubs as the issue. Maybe try picking up a USB 3 thunderbolt port replicator that can support all your USB devices (and anything else you want to throw at it.).
If you go the port replicator route, be sure to update it's firmware when you get it.
It's not a problem with the USB hub, I've already connected a different computer, a desktop, to this exact same configuration and had no problems whatsoever. It's definitely a problem with the laptop, I just don't know what. And I don't think it's even necessarily a problem that has anything to do with the USB ports at all because I experience greater problems trying to connect peripherals via bluetooth.

tasmanianwolfe

Reputable
Aug 31, 2015
It seems to be some kind of overload on the systems resources, it can't handle multiple peripherals being connected at the same time, whether it's via bluetooth or USB. I've had one person suggest it might have to do with the power source of the laptop simply not being strong enough compared to a desktop, but that's the only theory I've gotten so far that would make any sense, although it doesn't make much sense to me as everything I connect to the laptop outside of the mouse and keyboard, which are connected through a powered monitor, have their own power supplies.

Is your USB hub powered?

When you have connectivity issues do ALL peripherals go down/have issues at the same time? USB, bluetooth, etc.? Have you checked the power settings for your USB and Bluetooth controllers and hubs in device manager. Turn off any power saving settings and check again.

Reactions: tasmanianwolfe

tasmanianwolfe

Reputable
Aug 31, 2015
Is your USB hub powered?

When you have connectivity issues do ALL peripherals go down/have issues at the same time? USB, bluetooth, etc.? Have you checked the power settings for your USB and Bluetooth controllers and hubs in device manager. Turn off any power saving settings and check again.
The hub is powered. The only things connected to the hub are the 2 HDs though which both have their own power sources.

Yes, it's like the computer is having a seizure. The more I connect, and are running which is an important note, the worse it gets. If the HDs are asleep, but connected, and it's only the mouse and keyboard I don't normally experience any problems. From there the problems or seizures get worse as I connect more things. The seizures range from, on the light side, not registering keystrokes or entering a key 20 times and the mouse sticking at times and not always registering clicks to, when it gets bad, completely disconnecting for up to a couple minutes and the monitor blinking and reconnecting and everything freezing. And I've even gotten the BSOD from it which was
Stop Code: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
What failed: RfeCo10X64.sys

I have turned off all the power saving features I can find. There's a selective suspend feature that makes peripherals go to sleep to conserve power that I thought might be the problem but it didn't change anything.

You'll need to go with process of elimination. Start with just keyboard and mouse. Use it until the issue would have definitely occurred. If it doesn't occur, plug one more device in and use the system some more. Keep on doing this until the system has the issue to find the offending device.
I would also try turning off all power management settings for plugged in drives as well. Basically, don't let anything that is using one of those ports to go to sleep.

Reactions: tasmanianwolfe
Solution

tasmanianwolfe

Reputable
Aug 31, 2015
Yeah, that's kind of the thing, there doesn't seem to be a single offending device and I've been trying to figure this out going on a year now. I've had it happen from having both or even just one of the HDs running and I've had it happen with both HDs disconnected but bluetooth Sony headphones connected. The only logged system errors I've received had to do with an Alienware program that was also causing other problems. Since reinstalling Windows and having Alienware replace pretty much all the hardware I no longer receive those errors or the other associated problems, this is the only lingering problem. Could this be caused by a cheap or underpowered mobo?