[SOLVED] trouble with amd radeon rx580 8gb gpu

Dec 3, 2019
Hi there. Recently I made a new gaming pc myself with a new gigabyte btc b250 fintech motherboard. Since mining motherboards become obsolete, these are very cheap and this one is boasted as good for gaming as well. I did put a new intel i7 7700k inside, together with 32MB Ram and an AMD Radeon RX580 8GB GPU; I also use a brand new 650W PSU.
Normal tasks work ok, but when I try any more demanding game on this PC like Subnautica or starwars battlefront2, the game crashes all the time while starting; colors aren't well displayed while starting, some pixels are in complete wrong colors - and then it crashes.
I already tried to uninstall the gpu completely and reinstall, but the results are just the same.
Any suggestions how to deal with this problem?

Solution
Actually I'd often rely on this in case of a problem. Windows will only install drivers it knows to work with it's OS at the time, it may not always be the latest, but should usually be stable. Not to say I don't keep it updated, but If people are having issues with GPU drivers, it's a common go to to go back to the Windows released versions :)

Does the integrated graphics work normally?
PSU is very poor quality, so could be a factor.

I would definitely say so, based on what I read here:
http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?14162-TACENS-releases-new-Mars-Gaming-MPII-Series

Also, I found this page: https://www.pccomponentes.com/tacens-mars-gaming-mpii-650w
I zoomed in, but the photo with the label is...
Hi there. Recently I made a new gaming pc myself with a new gigabyte btc b250 fintech motherboard. Since mining motherboards become obsolete, these are very cheap and this one is boasted as good for gaming as well. I did put a new intel i7 7700k inside, together with 32MB Ram and an AMD Radeon RX580 8GB GPU; I also use a brand new 650W PSU.
Normal tasks work ok, but when I try any more demanding game on this PC like Subnautica or starwars battlefront2, the game crashes all the time while starting; colors aren't well displayed while starting, some pixels are in complete wrong colors - and then it crashes.
I already tried to uninstall the gpu completely and reinstall, but the results are just the same.
Any suggestions how to deal with this problem?

So by 'uninstall the gpu' do you mean removing and re-inserting it into the machine, or do you mean you reinstalled the drivers?

Is the card new or second hand?

Final question, what settings are you running it at, stock or is it overclocked (also have you overclocked anything else, e.g. memory or CPU)?

Dec 3, 2019
So by 'uninstall the gpu' do you mean removing and re-inserting it into the machine, or do you mean you reinstalled the drivers?

Is the card new or second hand?

Final question, what settings are you running it at, stock or is it overclocked (also have you overclocked anything else, e.g. memory or CPU)?

Thanks!
By reinstalling I mean plugging out the extra power cable, after which the gpu isn't found any more, and then removing all the drivers for the card. Then plugging in again and let the system (Windows 10) reinstall the drivers.
The card is second hand from Amazon Prime, sold as as good as new. Probably that's the real reason...
I'm running it at stock settings, didn't change anything since none of my games are so demanding. Nothing is overclocked.

Last edited:

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
don't rely on Windows 10 to provide you with the driver!
Actually I'd often rely on this in case of a problem. Windows will only install drivers it knows to work with it's OS at the time, it may not always be the latest, but should usually be stable. Not to say I don't keep it updated, but If people are having issues with GPU drivers, it's a common go to to go back to the Windows released versions :)

Thanks!
The PSU is a Mars Gaming MPII650 model, bought it at Amazon.

Reactions: cdrkf and King_V

You are assuming Windows has recognised the card as an RX 580 and not installed some 'generic VGA' driver instead....

Reactions: PC Tailor
Dec 3, 2019

Integrated graphics works just fine, tried it with subnautica without a glitch.
PSU...yeah, possible...

Dec 3, 2019
You are assuming Windows has recognised the card as an RX 580 and not installed some 'generic VGA' driver instead....
Windows did recongnized the card, no trouble with that. But using the drivers from the amd website might be better indeed. Installed those just now, will try the card again after reboot.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador

http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?14162-TACENS-releases-new-Mars-Gaming-MPII-Series

Also, I found this page: https://www.pccomponentes.com/tacens-mars-gaming-mpii-650w
I zoomed in, but the photo with the label is blurry - seems to be 46A on the 12V rail, so, effectively, 552W. Not good for a PSU that calls itself 650W.

That a "650W" PSU only has a single 6-pin PCIe connector is also alarming, to say the least. I'm unfamiliar with any RX 580 that doesn't use an 8-pin connector, so how are you even connecting the PSU to the video card? EDIT: correction, it's a 6+2, but still, having only one of those for a 650W card is definitely an indication that this PSU is something dangerous to be using in your PC.

Solution
Dec 3, 2019

I zoomed in, but the photo with the label is blurry - seems to be 46A on the 12V rail, so, effectively, 552W. Not good for a PSU that calls itself 650W.

That a "650W" PSU only has a single 6-pin PCIe connector is also alarming, to say the least. I'm unfamiliar with any RX 580 that doesn't use an 8-pin connector, so how are you even connecting the PSU to the video card? EDIT: correction, it's a 6+2, but still, having only one of those for a 650W card is definitely an indication that this PSU is something dangerous to be using in your PC.

Shame on me...I took great care in all the other components, but for the PSU, I made the common mistake to only to look at the max watts. Allright, a better PSU is at least something to look for in the very near future, don't like to fry my system.
For power draw of GPU's, you can also look at this site: https://miningchamp.com/ This is more related to mining, but it gives some figures regarding the power draw for a lot of GPU's - gaming takes a lot more power than mining, but it's something.
Thanks a lot for giving these suggestions, these are really helpful!

Reactions: King_V

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
It's a very common mistake, and one that I now know I've made the past, replacing a dead PSU on an already existing system (Pentium 4 era machine) with one that wasn't so great. I got lucky in that it held up.

The link in my sig is a good guide.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Shame on me...I took great care in all the other components, but for the PSU, I made the common mistake to only to look at the max watts. Allright, a better PSU is at least something to look for in the very near future, don't like to fry my system.
For power draw of GPU's, you can also look at this site: https://miningchamp.com/ This is more related to mining, but it gives some figures regarding the power draw for a lot of GPU's - gaming takes a lot more power than mining, but it's something.
Thanks a lot for giving these suggestions, these are really helpful!
As King V stated, it's probably the most common mistake made, as the market is full of junk but the thought process is "well if it has enough watts then it's fine" when in reality, it's a fatal error, and many of us have seen far too many systems damaged as a result - and even in worst cases, fires.

But also it's not just about the rails as King has also stated, even if it has a huge amperage on the 12V rail, still doesn't mean it's good.

This guide goes into a bit here in point 1: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...when-selecting-parts-for-a-custom-pc.3510178/

But in all seriousness, last thing to EVER go cheap on, is the PSU - but most do it the other way round. Either way, sure all will be good from here :)

Dec 3, 2019
As King V stated, it's probably the most common mistake made, as the market is full of junk but the thought process is "well if it has enough watts then it's fine" when in reality, it's a fatal error, and many of us have seen far too many systems damaged as a result - and even in worst cases, fires.

But also it's not just about the rails as King has also stated, even if it has a huge amperage on the 12V rail, still doesn't mean it's good.

This guide goes into a bit here in point 1: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...when-selecting-parts-for-a-custom-pc.3510178/

But in all seriousness, last thing to EVER go cheap on, is the PSU - but most do it the other way round. Either way, sure all will be good from here :)

Saw the video on the guide you mentioned, a horrible prospect! But I might be lucky, I still can return and ask a refund for this psu. Time to go shopping again. I made only the PSU mistake, at least something. 🆒

Dec 3, 2019
Saw the video on the guide you mentioned, a horrible prospect! But I might be lucky, I still can return and ask a refund for this psu. Time to go shopping again. I made only the PSU mistake, at least something. 🆒

This one will be much better, I think? Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 80 Plus Full Modulair 750W

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2019
I concur with @PC Tailor regarding the wattage you need.

However, I have seen cases where the 650W version of the Focus/Focus Plus has been on sale for less than the 550W equivalent of the same model... or, sometimes, for something like only $5 more, in which case, go with the bigger one.

An update on what I did to solve this problem.
I bought a Seasonic focus plus 650W, 550W was just a few bucks cheaper. This PSU works perfect, safe and very silent, but it didn’t solve the problem with the GPU.
At the same time, I bought another CPU cooler to replace the annoyingly loud Intel stock cooler. But in doing so, I wrecked the mobo...very cheap mobo, now you know why....And I ended up with another motherboard: Asus Prime z270-P, Since this chipset is very compatible with my intel CPU.
So everything assembled again, but the GPU was still not stable. Only solution left over was buying another GPU: Asus Arez Dual RX580 O8GB.
And now, finally, everything works as it should! A bit expensive adventure, but I learned a lot through experience and your support! Many thanks for helping me out!

Reactions: cdrkf

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Glad to hear that things ultimately worked out - and a shame that it really did all boil down to a bad card. Defective hardware right up front is pretty rare, but, this just reminds us that it still does happen on occasion.

That said, I'm also glad you've got the Focus Plus PSU - I know it's not my system, but I still feel way more comfortable with that powering your system than the previous PSU.

Reactions: cdrkf