Trouble with ATI Radeon HD 2400 Pro 512MB AGP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brevity_08

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2008
So I just installed the above mentioned card (ATI Radeon HD 2400 pro) and when I turn on my system the fans spin and everything seems fine but my monitor brings up the power saver message, cuts off, then cuts back on and my entire display is covered in white "snow" shooting across the screen.

I've done everything the installation manual has asked me to do and tech support NEVER answers the phone. I'm at my wits end here

any suggestions? Is the card defective? should I take it back and exchange it?

or is it something else. I really have NO idea. I'm tech savy but i've never seen anything like this before.

I appreciate any help here guys

thanks ahead of time.

Brevity_08

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2008
I had a Geforce FX 5200 and yeah right before I installed the new card I uninstalled the Geforce drivers.

I haven't disabled onboard video but wouldn't the current card not work if it was enabled?

truth be told i'm not even sure how to disable onboard video for this mainboard (Asus P4P 800 SE) EDIT: scratch that I just looked it up and turned it off. Still no luck with the new card though :p

I'm beginning to wonder if perhaps my monitor is too crappy to support the new card. (if that's possible)

In your manual, it states that your board will support only AGP cards at .08 or 1.1 volts. Page 2-18 says specifically do not use 3.3 volt AGP cards as they are not supported on this motherboard!
I am pretty sure, but please check it out in your documentation that came with the card to be certain, that the 2400 is a 3.3 volt card.

Brevity_08

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2008
This is what I found that I think is the voltage of the card.

GPU Device Id: 0x1002 0x94C3
11X-8E370BSA-001
11X-8E370BSA-001 RV610 GDDR2 64BIT 512MB 525E/400M
(C) 1988-2005, ATI Technologies Inc.
ATOMBIOSBK-ATI VER010.059.000.003.000000
8E370BSA.001
Clock State 0
Core Clk: 525.00 MHz
Memory Clk: 500.00 MHz
Voltage: 1.100 V
Flags: Boot
Clock State 1
Memory Clk: 400.00 MHz
Flags: Overdrive
Clock State 2
Flags:
Clock State 3
Flags:

none of which seems to be over 1.100 v

Brevity_08

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2008
Yeah thats what i'm thinkin'

I can't figure anything else that it could be.

thanks for all the help though I appreciate it.

harrycat88

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
Missing information.
What motherboard are you installing this card in?
Do you have a PSU that is 350WATT or higher?
Is the primary video card in the BIOS set to use the AGP slot?
Does the HD2400 have a plugin for a 4 pin molex power cable?
If the HD2400 has a 4 pin molex connector, is the power cable securely plugged into it?
Does the AGP slot have any foreign material such as human or animal hair etc. etc embeded in it causing a bad connection?
Is the fan spinning on the HD2400?
Are you using the ATi 8.6 Hotfix or later hotfix drivers?
If everything checks out. Send the card back.

Brevity_08

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2008
The mainboard is an ASUS P4P 800 SE

THe primary video is set to AGP

No 4 pin molex or any other connectors for extra power

my power supply is 450W

THe fan IS spinning

I don't think that there's anything in the AGP slot, I'm running an AGP card right now and it's working just fine.

I Don't however have the hotfix. What is it? is it nessecary to have BEFORE the card is installed?

I should also mention that the card hooks into my monitor through a VGA adapter, I don't know if that matters or not.

G

I have the same exact card and yes it has a 4 pin plug on the far end that needs to be connected to a power supply of at least a 300 watts. I would recommend a ps of 500w to get every thing to run properly. Also I would download and use a program called "windows install cleanup". Remove all video drivers and related programs plus all microsoft .net framework apps. Reinstall all net framework apps starting with 1.1 all the way up to 3.5 restarting after each install. Then install the ati drivers and catalyst console and drivers and this video card will work just fine.

G

I almost forgot. Most of the agp cards were sent out with pci software. In order to obtain the correct drivers you must go to www.visiontek.com and download the proper drivers for your specific card. Hope this helps.

wellblessed71

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Hi I have istalled the above card into my intel pentium that has xp. I could play all the older games on my steam account such a half life and counter strike opposing force,blue watch but as ssoon as i try to play half life 2 or half life soure i end up with a black screen and game sound. I thought the problem would be sorted by installing dx10 on my xp as the card is dx10 compatable thinking this would solve the problem but no it is still the same. any advice please?
:eek:

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
DX10 is for Vista, not XP. Will a DX10 package even install on an XP machine? It shouldn't have, but if it did, you've likely screwed things up considerably. Instead, I would have simply tried the latest Catalyst Driver Suite from ATI, then sought the most recent release of Direct 9.0c.

Hopefully you were smart enough to create a System Restore point prior to the DirectX 10 install... If so, download Catalyst 9.3 or 9.4 then run System Restore. Reboot and uninstall the old driver package. Reboot again, cancel the Windows hardware auto-detection crap, then install the Catalyst 9.3 or 9.4 package. Reboot again and look for the most recent version of DirectX 9.0c, install it, and reboot one last time. If that doesn't fix it, then I dunno what will.

G

now maybe ,this problem can be caused by not turning off your antivirus,before the install,i know this cause it happened to me.
goodluck

oskarsbar

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
i have the same card HD 2400 pro 256MB 64bits, and i have the same problem, i reinstal windows xp pro, but wen i instal the drivers y restar the computer i dont have video i can in safe mode and remove the driver and i can see my desktop but i dont have the driver, i have a intel mother board, in windows 7 is the same problem

Status
Not open for further replies.