[SOLVED] Trouble with BSODs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarryGW

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2012
Hi there,

For quite a while now I've been having trouble with BSODs, my PC runs fine until a BS, restarts and all is well. Some of the stop codes I've been getting include:

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
KERNEL_AUTO_BOOST_INVALID_LOCK_RELEASE
SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

Things I've tried so far that hasn't worked:

2 fresh installs of Win10.
New SSD with a fresh install of Win10.
Updated all drivers, BIOS, chipset etc.
RMA'd my RAM modules (my RAM model is on the compatibility list for the b450, but the specific ver. is not - not sure if this could be a compatibility issue)
New motherboard.
Used RAM calculator to set timings for my RAM.
Used all the memory diagnostic tools, as well as system check - no results.
Checked for malware/virus, as well as turning all third party software off.

All temps are within range, and nothing is over/underclocked, except having changed RAM timings to what the DRAM calculator deemed the "safe" settings.

System specs are:
Ryzen 5 3600
Rx5700
2x8GB Corsair DDR4 3000MHz
MSI B450m Mortar Max
EVGA 600W BR
1TB Sabrent Rocket M2 SSD
2TB WD HDD
Win. 10

Any help would be great!
Thanks
Harry

HarryGW

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2012
Hi there,

For quite a while now I've been having trouble with BSODs, my PC runs fine until a BS, restarts and all is well. Some of the stop codes I've been getting include:

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
KERNEL_AUTO_BOOST_INVALID_LOCK_RELEASE
SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

Things I've tried so far that hasn't worked:

2 fresh installs of Win10.
New SSD with a fresh install of Win10.
Updated all drivers, BIOS, chipset etc.
RMA'd my RAM modules (my RAM model is on the compatibility list for the b450, but the specific ver. is not - not sure if this could be a compatibility issue)
New motherboard.
Used RAM calculator to set timings for my RAM.
Used all the memory diagnostic tools, as well as system check - no results.
Checked for malware/virus, as well as turning all third party software off.

All temps are within range, and nothing is over/underclocked, except having changed RAM timings to what the DRAM calculator deemed the "safe" settings.

System specs are:
Ryzen 5 3600
Rx5700
2x8GB Corsair DDR4 3000MHz
MSI B450m Mortar Max
EVGA 600W BR
1TB Sabrent Rocket M2 SSD
2TB WD HDD
Win. 10

Any help would be great!
Thanks
Harry

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://clandestineshoot.htmlpasta.com/
File information:012420-5359-01.dmp (Jan 24 2020 - 13:44:53)
Bugcheck:APC_INDEX_MISMATCH (1)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: MsMpEng.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 22 Hour(s), 48 Min(s), and 25 Sec(s)

File information:012220-5406-01.dmp (Jan 22 2020 - 14:30:24)
Bugcheck:DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (D1)
Driver warnings:*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for rt640x64.sys
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 09 Min(s), and 49 Sec(s)

File information:011920-4593-01.dmp (Jan 19 2020 - 08:11:51)
Bugcheck:SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M (1000007E)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: WmiPrvSE.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 12 Hour(s), 21 Min(s), and 01 Sec(s)
One of the 3 crashes was caused by:
Nov 18 2019rt640x64.sysRealtek NICDRV 8169 PCIe GBE Family Controller driver https://www.realtek.com/en

Possible Motherboard page: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B450M-MORTAR/Overview
There is a BIOS update available for your system. You have BIOS 1.7 installed and the latest is 1.D. Wait for additional information before deciding to update or not. Important: Verify that I have linked to the correct motherboard. Updating your BIOS can be risky. Never try it when you might lose power (lightning storms, recent power outages, etc).

This information can be used by others to help you. I can't help you with this. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck. Maybe @Colif will have some ideas.

gardenman

Splendid
OK, my apologies. If you have a link to the homepage of the motherboard, that would be useful. I just looked for it and can't find anything other than the Mortar one (not max).

The dump file says:
Code:
SYSTEM INFO:
MANUFACTURER: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd.
PRODUCT_NAME: MS-7B89
VERSION: 1.0

MOTHERBOARD:
MANUFACTURER: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd.
PRODUCT: B450M MORTAR (MS-7B89)
VERSION: 1.0 

BIOS:
VENDOR: American Megatrends Inc.
VERSION: 1.70
DATE: 06/17/2019

HarryGW

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2012
I'm sure that is the motherboard I have, and that I also have the motherboard that you listed, and that both of them have the most up to date driver listed on their website, and both get the same blue screens. I believe the boards are more or less the same except they have difference BIOS interfaces. But I'm less sure about that.

Reactions: gardenman

HarryGW

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2012
My next port of call was to try replacing the CPU as most of the blue screens seem to be related to memory management. My other concern was that the version of my RAM module is not on the compatibility list for my MoBo - whilst the model is listed, the exact version is not. Is this a possible cause, or do the versions not differ significantly enough to cause concern?

gardenman

Splendid
I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://clubableentlebuchermountaindog.htmlpasta.com/
File information:040220-6875-01.dmp (Apr 2 2020 - 10:09:16)
Bugcheck:ATTEMPTED_EXECUTE_OF_NOEXECUTE_MEMORY (FC)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: chrome.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 17 Min(s), and 42 Sec(s)

File information:040220-6703-01.dmp (Apr 2 2020 - 16:52:36)
Bugcheck:SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (3B)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 5 Hour(s), 32 Min(s), and 54 Sec(s)

File information:040220-6640-01.dmp (Apr 2 2020 - 10:55:36)
Bugcheck:PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (50)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: MBAMService.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 20 Min(s), and 24 Sec(s)

File information:040220-6625-01.dmp (Apr 2 2020 - 10:34:06)
Bugcheck:PFN_LIST_CORRUPT (4E)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: MBAMService.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 24 Min(s), and 18 Sec(s)

File information:040220-6593-01.dmp (Apr 2 2020 - 11:19:09)
Bugcheck:IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (A)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 23 Min(s), and 00 Sec(s)
Possible Motherboard page: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450M-MORTAR-MAX.html

These dump files came from a different system according to the BIOS. I also just noticed the previous dump files were from January. We can't debug 2 systems at once as it's likely they have very different issues.

A motherboard is a "system". Each time you change a motherboard in a PC, it becomes a new system. Keep that in mind. So tecnically, if the previous January dump files were from another motherboard, they can't be used to help debug the new system (motherboard).

When you changed motherboards, did you reinstall Windows?

Colif may reply later today.

HarryGW

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2012
Yes, this is a new motherboard, installed today (as I was led to believe that the hardware of the MoBo could have been causing the issues). No I didn't reinstall windows, I just flashed the BIOS. Given that the stop codes were the same and occurring in the same fashion I assumed it was just that the issue is ongoing and changing the motherboard didn't help or affect it. So you think these issues could be unrelated?

Do these debug results tell us anything - sorry, I'm not very experienced in reading them. I see it says memory corruption but I'm not sure what this suggests.

Thanks for all your help so far.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Sorry... i must have sent link to GM without watching thread , as I don't recall this one?

Assuming only difference is the new BIOS now knows the right name for the motherboard, did you update your realtek LAN drivers when you got error 1st time, as the date on the installed driver has not changed.

installed dated 18 Nov 2019
Latest on website 16 Jan 2020 - https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450M-MORTAR-MAX.html#down-driver&Win10 64

and all 5 of the last errors are internet related. Chrome & Malwarebytes both crashed, they weren't the cause but it shows a pattern

this driver might be okay but its really old
Sep 09 2005 ssgdio64.sys ATI Diagnostics Hardware Abstraction System driver

gardenman

Splendid
I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://discomposedmany.htmlpasta.com/

File information:040520-6703-01 - Copy.dmp (Apr 5 2020 - 12:31:03)
Bugcheck:KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (1E)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 5 Hour(s), 46 Min(s), and 49 Sec(s)

This information can be used by others to help you. I can't help you with this. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
it is blaming the internet drivers again. it doesn't mention them but does say tcpip.sys which is the windows file used for internet. It normally mans lan drivers.

I would clean install win 10 on this new motherboard and see if we can get rid of the repeating error about LAN. You have had it all along, so try a new install as it can't still be LAN on a new motherboard.

HarryGW

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2012
Sorry @Colif I have seen your message, thanks for the reply. I will get on doing a fresh install, I just need the PC as I'm working from home so will have to dedicate a day to do it. Would you recommend creating a totally new image with the media creation tool and installing from a USB boot, or can I just use Windows Recovery > clean install? I have previously used the Media Creation Tool route.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Sorry @Colif I have seen your message, thanks for the reply. I will get on doing a fresh install, I just need the PC as I'm working from home so will have to dedicate a day to do it. Would you recommend creating a totally new image with the media creation tool and installing from a USB boot, or can I just use Windows Recovery > clean install? I have previously used the Media Creation Tool route.

I would make a new USB as then you don't have to install as many patches afterwards. There might be a new version of win 10 this month so you likely have to update to it as well in a week or so.

HarryGW

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2012
@Colif Hey, gonna try to get this fresh install done over the bank holiday weekend. Wanted to check something - I'm going to do a clean install by backing up my SSD onto my HDD, then wiping the SSD, and booting from a USB image. After booting, what should I install drivers wise? Just let windows update and leave it at that? Install all of my products drivers - MoBo, chipset, GPU, peripherals, etc.?

Status
Not open for further replies.