Trouble with getting new Samsung 840 EVO SSD detecting SATA3 (6gbps) connection - SOLVED

faintrespite

Reputable
Jul 13, 2014
SOLVED

- - - - - - -

Solved my own problem.

It was actually just a simple matter of updating the BIOS to F5 (from F4). I had assumed the software that came with the mobo would update itself to the newest version but it didn't. Just had to download from mobo website, plug in a USB, and install.

Getting proper SATA3 readings now.

- - - - - - - -

Hi all,

I'm having trouble getting my new Samsung 840 EVO SSD detecting the SATA3 (6gbps) connection. Both my Intel RST and Samsung Magician are showing a SATA2 connection and utility shows read/write at 250mbps actual. The Samsung Magician shows I "have SATA3 (6gbps) available" but that I'm using SATA2.

I have a Gigabyte H97D3H mobo and LinkDepot cables. I'm running F4 BIOS and Intel RST v13.2.4. This was a clean install on Windows7 and it actually used to work fine at SATA3 (~1 month ago). However, yesterday when I ran a new performance check I saw these problems. Already spoke to Gigabyte and Samsung support and was not much help so far.

HOWEVER. At the advice of Samsung, I tried switching the SATA port so I moved my SSD from 0 to 4 (because the 4/5 ports are on the "side" while the 0/1/2/3 are grouped together so it's possible they're "different" which they sort of are). For some reason it worked again and I was reading SATA3; weird because the H97 is supposed to have all SATA3 ports. Afterwards, I unplugged and replugged it to redo cable management and now it's not working again. Tried changing ports, cables, restarting, and running Windows Install manager's troubleshoot.

Does anyone have any ideas what my problem might be? Both Gigabyte and Samsung think it's a driver/Intel problem though they don't know for sure.

Solution
Solved my own problem.

It was actually just a simple matter of updating the BIOS to F5 (from F4). I had assumed the software that came with the mobo would update itself to the newest version but it didn't. Just had to download from mobo website, plug in a USB, and install.

millwright

Distinguished
They didn't mention the long term storage slow down problem?

There is no driver yet, to my knowledge.

Not sure if this is your problem, but a few weeks ago, it was discovered, data that is not accesses for a while, will be slow to read.

It effects the EVO, and not the PRO.

faintrespite

Reputable
Jul 13, 2014
Only a CDROM on port3.

I don't understand. Of course there are drivers for the hardware.

Are you saying that if I don't use data on the EVO (not PRO) that it becomes inaccessible and/or slow to read? Can you point me to a source on this? Even if this is true, I'm not sure how this affects me since I have new everything.

Wait, so a recent driver update is causing my issue and all I have to do is wait for someone to fix it?

faintrespite

Reputable
Jul 13, 2014
My firmware is up to date on that end. Unfortunately this isn't the problem, but thanks.

millwright

Distinguished
It wasn't a firmware update, that caused the problem.

It has been an undiscovered problem from the start.(the original firmware has a problem)

I can Guarantee, your EVO has the problem, as they all do.

It may not be your only problem, but you do have it just like everyone else.

Me included.

faintrespite

Reputable
Jul 13, 2014
Could I get a source please?

And again, does this apply to simple read/write in general?

I'm not asking about accessing old data.

millwright

Distinguished
I doesn't effect wrights.(edited from reads)

It only effects data that hasn't been accessed in a while.

The longer it has been since it has been accessed the slower it gets, because it is correcting errors.

No data loss has been reported.

faintrespite

Reputable
Jul 13, 2014
That's a really interesting problem that I wasn't aware of, thanks.

This is still different from my issue though isn't it. Read/write reports generated by utility softwares create new files to test. And I'm reading 250mbps on those. Plus my utility software themselves are telling me that I am not on SATA3, even though I am. Getting lower than desirable speeds is one thing, to not be detecting the correct form at all is another.

I've updated my original post to reflect this. I'm looking into SATA3 detection (over SATA2) issues, not pure speed issues.

There is a problem with several motherboards having BIOS issues with the SAMSUNG SSD drives. Several were laptops - and in some cases, they had to downgrade the BIOS to a previous version to get it to recognize the Samsung SSD as a SATA III drive. I couldn't find anything on Gigabyte's website.

faintrespite

Reputable
Jul 13, 2014
The Samsung tech was saying something along those lines. It sounds like a real hassle to do though, ugh. What are some issues that can occur if you downgrade your wares?

Unless there is an issue I need to fix - I leave the BIOS alone....there is always a small chance of "bricking" the mobo in changing the BIOS versions. Always follow their directions exactly.

I didn't take the time to go through all of Gigabyte's forums - I just did a search that didn't find a match. There may be a similar mobo that was having those issue - or it could be a different SSD. Sometimes it can take hours looking through their forums to find the answer....

faintrespite

Reputable
Jul 13, 2014

:(

faintrespite

Reputable
Jul 13, 2014
Solved my own problem.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS