Trouble with GTX 1080 and some games

rob martin

Honorable
Apr 7, 2013
Hello all, I am currently having trouble with my PC. All of a sudden today I can't get higher than 30fps while running Witcher 3 and Shadow of war. Heck, the benchmark for SOW, won't push past 14 fps. I have a gtx 1080 with an i5-8600k. Temps are all under 60 while running the games so I don't think it is a thermal issue. I am using a TV as a display, and have been having issues with it using my cable box with it, but I just chalked that up to Bell Fibe giving me a crappy PVR. To clarify as of last Thursday, I was easily able to achieve around 60fps in the above cases using NVIDIA Adaptive sync. (The old thing not the hell frozen over driver that NVIDIA launched on the 15th. though I did update to it and I am sure that didn't cause the fps issue.) One of the other games I play on PC, Star Wars the Old Republic, I easily get between 60 and 120 fps while using Fast sync and a FPS limit of 120. I tried defaulting everything in NVIDIA control panel, no effect, tried DDU in safe mode and reinstalled the drivers, no effect, tried setting all graphic settings to low or off, and still, no effect. Sadly switching out the display is not a viable solution for quite a few more months (Ah the joys of living in Canada). That is all I could think of that would help any suggestions would be greatly appreciated and just in case it matters, here is a full build link minus the TV for my PC

edit:

Come on guys any ideas what so ever?

rob martin

Honorable
Apr 7, 2013
OK 8 people have read this now, and no responses. PLEASE HELP, IF YOU DONT HAVE AN ANSWER PLEASE SAY SO, IF YOU NEED MORE INFO, PLEASE SAY SO. DON'T JUST NOT REPLY, TO ME IT IS LESS DISRESPECTFUL TO SAY "HAY RETARD", THEN FILL IN THE BLANK WITH YOUR ANSWER.

Have you removed the PCIe cables from the card and put them back in? Same question for the PSU if the PSU is modular.

Have you monitored your system's resources while you're gaming?

With MSI AB you can use its OSD( Settings or gear, Monitoring tab, OSD is near the bottom)to investigate an issue or just simple monitoring. What's the load on the CPU? Enable the CPU usage option with a check-mark(or tic-mark) You can just watch the CPU as a single unit or watch each core. Watching all the cores can make your sceen a little cluttered so it might be better to just watch the CPU as a single unit. What's the load on the 1080? A 10% load that never increases would be an obvious indicator. There are so many things you can monitor and they are each a possible clue to what's wrong.

What's the PSU's voltage at? If it isn't getting enough food the 1080 wouldn't play at its best. I think MSI AB has an option to display that but I usually use BIOS/ UEFI or https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html to see what the +12V rail is displaying. I look at HwMonitor and it says 12.018V. I then reboot my PC and enter BIOS where, in the health section, it tells me it's at 12.0. I don't see an issue. If it was at 10.098V I would know something needs to be replaced.

How many companies make the 1080? Specifics! Have you called them or set up a support ticket online?

Ain't no need to be yelling.