Trouble with installation of gtx 1070

Ginobli

Reputable
Apr 23, 2016
I just got my gtx 1070 in the
Code:
mail. Woo hoo lol. I was using integrated graphics for a while, and when I installed the card onto my gigabyte z170x gaming 5 board, the display showed no signal. I went into the bios and chose the pci e slot for my display, and still nothing. Now I have a blank screen. I have no clue what to do and am proceeding with caution. Thanks to anybody who has the time.

2216rd.jpg

Solution
looking at the manual there is a setting to enable/disable the onboard video and a separate place to select the pcie slot for the gpu. have both settings been changed? igp disabled and pcie slot set to the x16 one?

is the mobo giving any error codes?

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
Well easiest possibility first, you are plugging your display cable into the back of the gpu and not the motherboard right? And are you using some sort of adapter to hook up that gpu? You should just use a single 8pin or 6+2pin directly from the psu into the gpu. And what power supply do you have?

Ginobli

Reputable
Apr 23, 2016

LOL. I was using integrated graphics prior to this, so once I saw it not working, I went into bios and disabled it. It let me choose which pci e slot to pick for my display so I picked it. It still didn't work, but now I have a permanent blank screen.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
looking at the manual there is a setting to enable/disable the onboard video and a separate place to select the pcie slot for the gpu. have both settings been changed? igp disabled and pcie slot set to the x16 one?

is the mobo giving any error codes?

Solution

wagonist

Honorable
Apr 9, 2012

wagonist

Honorable
Apr 9, 2012
I'm having the exact issue. The pc will not even post with a monitor plugged in. However when I unplug the monitor, then plug it back in after port the pc start right up. It's just won't post with anything plugged in. I have an EVGA 1070 founders edition

Greg_43

Commendable
Jun 30, 2016

im having the same problem as you did cant find a solution to it. where exactly did you change the settings and also what bios are you using thanks.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
which z170x board do you have? i assume you have the manual for it. that's where i found the setting for ginolbi. it is pretty thorough on every setting in the bios. i just skimmed along until i found the one i was looking for.

there are multiple z170x mobos from gigabyte. as you can see here http://www.gigabyte.com/products/list.aspx?s=42&jid=3&p=2&v=37 if you can tell me which one you have can look up the manual on it's product page.

Greg_43

Commendable
Jun 30, 2016

its a gigabyte z170x gaming 5 rev 1

Greg_43

Commendable
Jun 30, 2016
Okay so I solved the Problem After changing motherboards i found that if you have a sata express connected to any port. the motherboard will not read the graphics card i tried with both a 970 and the 1070. only after using regular sata cables did i get it to work i hope this helps.

richard_151

Commendable
Jul 28, 2016

richard_151

Commendable
Jul 28, 2016

what you mean with regular sata cable?

Todd_22

Commendable
Aug 21, 2016
I found my gigabit MB would not auto set the PCIe version correctly. I went into the bios settings and set it to gen 3 and it would then boot properly.

Trusty_1

Commendable
Sep 2, 2016

I disabled my igp and set the PCIe slot to one (top one the x16 one) and still not getting a screen.....
I already installed the lastest drivers for the gtx1070 on my ssd which the pc is booting from.

I think it has to do with the hdmi I am using, It's a simple hdmi cable from my monitor to my pc. Could it be I have a faulty hdmi port?

(I didnt check my PCIe version as the last comment suggested, but would that keep the screen from showing anything?)

reset my bios to fix it back to intergrated graphic card

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
no pcie version is not an issue really.

is the hdmi plugged into the card and not the motherboard? other thought would be about your power supply. is it string enough for the card? often see folks leaving connections off or using those horrible adapters to try and get the right connections.

Trusty_1

Commendable
Sep 2, 2016

Yes hdmi was plugged in to the the 1070. The 1070 hasn't worked on any display but I'm getting a dvi-d cable to try it wit today. The 6 + 2 pin connected firmly what is also an indication it's connected is that the 1070 fan only or fan on on top of the card is only on when I launch it as the boot gpu but I still get no display. I have the latest drivers and Nvidia GeForce experience on my pc.
So I really think it's a bios setting or a faulty card. If you have any wild ideas for the bios let me know I can always reset it if it breaks.

edit: seems like a new hdmi did the trick o.0
Thank you for your reply anyways ^.^

Matheus_5

Commendable
Sep 6, 2016
I have a similar problem, the hdmi connection works, but neither of the three displayports work, i have 2 monitor, 1: 4k tv on gtx 1070 hdmi working 2: full hd monitor with hdmi cable and displayport adapter into gtx 1070 displayport doesnt work.

I was using this setup on my old gtx 970 without problems.

I wonder if the gtx 1070 is not accepting my displayport adapter which is 1.1 like gtx 970 accepted before, anybody that tested some 1.1 displayport cable on the gtx 1070, can confirm this?

Thanks

OqLeBarron

Commendable
Oct 3, 2016
I have the same problem...install Zotac GTX 1070...start comp and stop to the BIOS interface. After 1 min the monitor get black...! Put my old card works properly...! The power supply is an new corsair 1000....dont think that is problem! Zotac wtf?!!!

TRENDING THREADS