Question Trouble with motherboard

SophieTheMeh

Honorable
Feb 5, 2017
You know the things that cover the holes where you put the cpu cooler onto when you first get it? Well I got 3 screws off but the fourth one refuses to budge and I don't want to try too hard and bend it or something. What should I do

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
List the hardware you are talking about. Shouldn't be screw removal necessary ona lot of consumer hardware.

The little plastic cover on Intel should just pop off when you have a CPU in the socket and bring the retention bracket down.

Threadripper only has 3 screws.

LGA 2011 and LGA2066 should basically use the Intel mounting for any cooler you might want to install.

AMD does tend to need the default bracket removed for a lot of aftermarket designs. If that is the case, reinstall the other screw and tighten it down, then attempt to loosen the stubborn one again. If that doesn't work, consider posting pictures for further assistance.

SophieTheMeh

Honorable
Feb 5, 2017
List the hardware you are talking about. Shouldn't be screw removal necessary ona lot of consumer hardware.

The little plastic cover on Intel should just pop off when you have a CPU in the socket and bring the retention bracket down.

Threadripper only has 3 screws.

LGA 2011 and LGA2066 should basically use the Intel mounting for any cooler you might want to install.

AMD does tend to need the default bracket removed for a lot of aftermarket designs. If that is the case, reinstall the other screw and tighten it down, then attempt to loosen the stubborn one again. If that doesn't work, consider posting pictures for further assistance.
On a b450 tomahawk. I'm only using a stock cooler. You need to remove little plastic things covering the little mount spot for the cpu cooler

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Those aren't covers, they are a type of CPU mount.

"AMD does tend to need the default bracket removed for a lot of aftermarket designs. If that is the case, reinstall the other screw and tighten it down, then attempt to loosen the stubborn one again. If that doesn't work, consider posting pictures for further assistance. "

Might just take a little downward pressure to get a screwdriver engaged. Or you need a properly sized and not chewed up screwdriver to prevent it from slipping. #2 Philips is the correct size I believe.

I still recommend taking pictures in case you do break something. MSI might accomodate you if they got it crossthreaded or overtightened it.

They may give you a hard time about that if you go to rma it.
Good point.

It may be that the best strategy would be to re-install the other plastic mount with both screws, and use a pair of diagonal cutters to VERY CAREFULLY cut-away the plastic mount around the stuck screw. If you have a soldering iron that you aren't emotionally attached to (because plastic absolutely destroys soldering iron tips), you can use that to VERY CAREFULLY melt-away a lot of the plastic to make things easier.

Remove that processor from the socket, first, though.

Once you get the actual head of the screw accessible, you can use Vice-Grip pliers to get a good hold on the head of the stuck screw, and remove the screw from the back plate. Once you have the screw free, you can un-screw the other screws that you previously re-installed (which were re-installed just to stabilize the bracket and avoid damage to the motherboard), and remove the back plate.

At that point, you should inspect the threads of the post where the screw was stuck, to see if there is thread damage. If the threads are damaged, you can use a correctly-sized tap to re-establish clean threads, by running the tap through the threads from the bottom of the threaded post--use cutting oil on the tap, of course.

Once that's done, clean up the back plate with isopropanol, and return to the task of installing your cooler of choice.