trouble with new samsung 850 SSD EVO 250GB

alexbeast

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2013
Basically, I installed this SSD and tried to migrate it using the Samsung software but it wouldn't let me because my 1TB hard drive has 600 GB used. I want the new SSD to be wiped clean with windows 7 but don't know how to go about it. I tried to install the windows 7 discs but when I put my windows 7 key into the download manager it just said: "The product key you entered appears to be for software pre-installed by the device manufacturer". Really what I'm asking is what should I do if I want a wiped clean SSD with just windows 7 and if I can use two different CD keys on one motherboard. I want to buy a windows 7 key online then download the disc portion on Microsoft's website using the new key I bought online if possible

Solution
1. Yes, 600GB used space will not migrate to a 250GB driver. Ever.

2. Your Win 7. This was preinstalled? OEM? If so, attempting to download the install from MS will result in exactly what you see. They expect you to get that from the manufacturer.

On your current system, does the original Factory Reset function still exist?
If so, you can invoke that to create your own DVD.
Use that to reinstall the OS on the new drive.

USAFRet

Titan
1. Yes, 600GB used space will not migrate to a 250GB driver. Ever.

2. Your Win 7. This was preinstalled? OEM? If so, attempting to download the install from MS will result in exactly what you see. They expect you to get that from the manufacturer.

On your current system, does the original Factory Reset function still exist?
If so, you can invoke that to create your own DVD.
Use that to reinstall the OS on the new drive.

Solution

alexbeast

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2013

went to the motherboard options and there is no reboot option there. What would you suggest the best option would be if I wanted a wiped SSD but I dont have the physical discs?

USAFRet

Titan

Not motherboard options....look in the user manual.
See what the keystroke is to invoke the Factory reset function.
This should allow you to create a DVD set for this.

Find this first.

alexbeast

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2013

Should tell you that im not that great with pcs so when you say keystroke and invoke I have no idea what you're talking about. If possible can you write a step by step instruction to do this.

USAFRet

Titan

Find the online user manual for your PC.
Link it here.

alexbeast

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2013

If I buy a windows 7 key online and use that on the Microsoft website for the installation disc download will it work on the new SSD?

USAFRet

Titan

That is likely to end badly.
Where were you thinking of buying this 'Win 7 key'?

A new license is not needed.
All we need to do is see if your current system still has the original Factory Reset partition. This will be free.
It that does NOT exist, you can buy that from the manufacturer. Which WILL be valid.

alexbeast

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2013

I dont have the prebuilt anymore I used the key on a different build

alexbeast

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2013

what would I have to do if that is the case?

USAFRet

Titan

Well then...
Apparently, you need to buy a whole new OS. 1 license, 1 PC.
And not from some scam site that sells "windows keys'.

alexbeast

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2013

so there is no way around it ? I would have to buy a new hard drive?

USAFRet

Titan

Why would you think you need to buy a new hard drive?
You need a new, valid, OS license.

alexbeast

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2013

sorry thought you meant I need a new pc sorry. you said that if I bought a new license it would end badly? what do you mean by that ? sorry for all the stupid questions in advance

USAFRet

Titan

You mentioned "If I buy a windows 7 key online"
Any site you find that sells 'only' a 'Windows 7 key' is unlikely to be a valid purchase.
There are dozens of these, all invalid.

Valid = Amazon, Newegg. You can't even buy Windows 7 from Microsoft anymore.

alexbeast

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2013

by online I meant websites like bestbuy or like you said amazon. So if I buy a valid license from for example best buy it will work on the new SSD?

alexbeast

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2013

I will just pick it up in store then as I want to get my new SSD up and ready ASAP. Wouldnt using a different license cause complications as I would have two different CD keys on the same motherboard?

alexbeast

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2013

So what im asking is buying a legit OEM license from amazon will work on the same motherboard ? heres the link to the product on amazon
https://www.amazon.ca/Windows-Professional-64bit-System-Builder/dp/B004Q0T0LU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1468124059&sr=8-1&keywords=windows+7+pro

USAFRet

Titan

Yes.

TRENDING THREADS