Oct 5, 2010
Hi there,
I have a
K9N-SLI-Platinum Motherboard
http://msi.com/product/mb/K9N-SLI-Platinum.html
and
Intel X25-M 80G SSD
http://www.intel.com/design/flash/nand/mainstream/index.htm

I'm experiencing random freezings and now this morning I had to hard reboot it, and syslog tells me about a kernel error.
This is the same problem I had when I first purchased the SSD, and the solution was changing the SSD drivers or something like that,
after I change that the computer became much more stable and no more hard boots or random frezings.

I just cant remember what I did then, so I was hoping some one here could assist me in this.

I checked and I found no option to enable the AHCI on the motherboard, just wanted to mention this.

Solution
OK ACPI is the standard of your board and the absence is ACHI is expected and not an issue. I see from the specifications of your board that your SATA controller is actually a NVIDIA controller. I suspect that there is an interface issue between the Intel SSD and the NVIDIA SATA controller. Your Board does support RAID but if you dont see the RAID Controller coming on at BIOS level during boot it is not activated. The drivers you probably need are the NVIDIA drivers. From memory these are called Nforce drivers. Go to the NVIDIA website and download the latest Nforce drivers for your board. These are probably the drivers you installed but cannot remember where you got them from. This will likely make the bad thing go away.

As far as...

playmans

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010
My BIOS version is 1.A wich is the second latest version (my pc worked fine before the format with that current version)
My SSD firmware is 2CV1 wich I belive is the latest one. (btw I should not have to update the firmware every time I format, right?)

Also worth to mention, Intel toolbox cant recognise my SSD

The Intel SSD Toolbox cannot communicate with the selected Intel SSD.
Consider changing to another storage driver compatible with your system and try the tool again.

Wamphryi

Distinguished
Some SSD's need to be on SATA Port 0 or 1 to update firmware. Make sure that the SSD is plugged into the Intel RAID controller on the board (assuming such a controller exists) and make sure that the Intel Drivers for the controller are installed. Switch the Motherboard BIOS to IDE Mode for the Firmware Update. Then immediately after the update switch it back to either AHCI or ACPI mode. If as you say these modes cannot be found that may require more research. Make sure any RAID controller is off in BIOS.

playmans

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010

My SSD is in port 1 (no port 0) and I dont belive that there is a RAID controller on my board.
Like I said earlyer I belive that I'm running the latest firmware, wich is 2CV1 so no need to update it.(I uppdated it few months ago)(and I dont belive that I have to uppdate the firmware again after a format, or do I?)
I cant find anything regarding the AHCI mode on the motherboard, but I have ACPI and it's enabled.
and my raid controller is off also.

Like I said in my original post, this only started after I formatted my PC. No other changes have been made, except for uppgrading the RAM from 3gb 666MHz to 6gb 800MHz.
I had this same trouble when I first installed my SSD, I got that fixed by changing some drivers or something, I cant
remember what it was that I changed, that's why i'm asking here hoping some one could help me with that.

I dont know how be clearer than this, so just ask if anything is troubling you regarding my issue.

Wamphryi

Distinguished
OK ACPI is the standard of your board and the absence is ACHI is expected and not an issue. I see from the specifications of your board that your SATA controller is actually a NVIDIA controller. I suspect that there is an interface issue between the Intel SSD and the NVIDIA SATA controller. Your Board does support RAID but if you dont see the RAID Controller coming on at BIOS level during boot it is not activated. The drivers you probably need are the NVIDIA drivers. From memory these are called Nforce drivers. Go to the NVIDIA website and download the latest Nforce drivers for your board. These are probably the drivers you installed but cannot remember where you got them from. This will likely make the bad thing go away.

As far as drivers go you haven't really indicated what your OS is. Go to this link chose your OS and download the drivers.

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

Your Board is quite dated and will certainly need SSD capable drivers for stability and performance.

According to the site regarding your board you are running a NVIDIA 570 Chipset.

http://msi.com/product/mb/K9N-SLI-Platinum.html#/?div=Detail

Solution

playmans

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010

thank you, it's fixxed now.

yea sorry about not giving better information regarding my system, but i'm running Win7 64bit home premium.
after I downloaded the drivers and installed them, the problem did not go away, and even my HDD light on the PC case
did not turn off or blink even, just staid on, that's when I figured what was wrong.
I had to,
click "start"
right click "computer" select "properties"
and click on "Device Manager"
and click "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers"
then find my SSD and click "Properties" (in my case it was "NVIDIA nForce Serial ATA Controller")
and go to the "Driver" tab.
Click "Update Driver".
Click "Browse my Computer"
and then "Let me pick".
then I saw the option to choose "Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller".
Clicked it and clicked "Next" and let it install.
had to restart 2 times.

and all my problem is gone, even shorted my booting time from 1.15min down to 0.41min
HDD light is working right now and Intel toolbox is working for me finally YAY :bounce:

altough I now have
ATA Channel 0
ATA Channel 0
ATA Channel 1
ATA Channel 1
NVIDIA nForce Serial ATA Controller
NVIDIA nForce Serial ATA Controller
Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller
Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller

and I only have 1 SSD 2 HDD's and 2 Opticals

Prof_Gizmo

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2011

playmans,

I had the same problem with trying to get the "Intel SSD Optimizer" to recognize my
320 Series SSD on my ASUS A8N-SLI Premium motherboard that has the NVIVIA SATA
controller on a system running Windows XP Home. I followed your instructions and
now everything is working just fine. Thanks for posting step-by-step instructions.

Prof Gizmo

beckerb

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2011

None of the Nvidia ATA serial drivers will work with Intel's SSD tool. This includes everything from WinXP through Win7. Speaking with Nvidia they know of the problems are are attempting to deal with Intel to get if fixed. Yea right "when pigs fly

numcrun

Honorable
Mar 23, 2012
Big thanks to playmans. I have an ASrock N68-S3 FX motherboard with XP Home. My Intel SSD toolbox also would not communicate with my Intel 320 series SSD until I followed his instructions and used the Microsoft SATA controller instead of the invidious one.

philharmonik

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010

Thank you for sharing you troubleshooting. I have an evga 680i SLI mobo and an Intel X25-M 80GB. System would freeze up and I could not use the Intel toolbox. After following these steps. I am now running normally and can utilize the toolbox. Running a full diagnostic scan now! :bounce: