Question Trouble with TV optical out to Yamaha v377

Stephen Myers

Honorable
Aug 8, 2013
So I've hooked all my components into my LG B8 via HDMI. Stuff looks great. I ran the sound to my AVR using toslink and for some reason the v377 isn't picking up 5.1 from my Nintendo Switch or my ps4. It IS however switching to 5.1 when I go into vudu on my Sony X800 and stream a movie. So what gives on the other two? I know it can work since it does on the x800, just doesn't seem to be communicating.

Stephen Myers

Honorable
Aug 8, 2013
Update: after looking around, it seems it may have something to do with DD not coming from the sources. I realize that optical can only send compressed 5.1, which the ps4 and Switch may not be sending over HDMI. This is kind of a pain since I just went to the trouble of changing the way everything is hooked up behind the wall, and I don't want to run things through the AVR because it doesn't support HDR or deep color.

Stephen Myers

Honorable
Aug 8, 2013
Ok maybe I need to bump this one because the PC isn't doing 5.1 either, although it should. I'm coming out of a gtx 1070 with HDMI to the tv same as the other components. Only with this, 5.1 and 7.1 are both greyed out and not selectable, where they were selectable before when the hdmi was running directly to the AVR. So maybe something is going on at the TV. The LG B8 should be able to pass regular DD according to my sources.

U may have to play with the TV setting audio out surround/stereo try both.

Another thing u may consider, not everything have to be hooked up to TV directly, u can mix, some to TV, some to AVR.

Your AVR, they usually do, should also switch automatically between surround and stereo signals.

Stephen Myers

Honorable
Aug 8, 2013
U may have to play with the TV setting audio out surround/stereo try both.

Another thing u may consider, not everything have to be hooked up to TV directly, u can mix, some to TV, some to AVR.

Your AVR, they usually do, should also switch automatically between surround and stereo signals.
When the sound out is set to optical, the B8 doesn't really give you any options as far as formats go. It seems to want to use whatever the original source is.

Also, I prefer to hook things up directly to the tv because the v377 is before the hdmi 2.2 standard became a thing and also won't pass thru certain features like hdr and deep color. It WILL switch itself between stereo and 5.1 when I'm using vudu on the x800 but not with anything else(even if it is suppose to be in surround), which makes this all the more puzzling.

Stephen Myers

Honorable
Aug 8, 2013
Both the LG and the Yamaha have ARC, is preferred over optical.
That is true, but I would lose an input on the tv as HDMI 2 would have to be routed to the AVR for that. The B8 has four inputs and I have four things to plug in. It would seem that the best solution is to get a new AVR and use pro logic in the meantime.

Really I'm just trying to figure out once and for all why the optical isn't working for it.