[SOLVED] trouble working second video card

toeachthierown

Commendable
Aug 17, 2016
Hello,
My issue is that I've been trying to install a second video card to help run my multi monitor setup with the tech i have on hand. My main GPU is an Nvidia 1080ti. The first card i installed as an auxiliary GPU was a Nvidia geforce 9400gt. The 8400gt would only work if the 1080ti was not connected, otherwise Windows device manager would say it was not responding/working. The 9400gt is an old card of mine so is well cared for. I thought it might be a driver issue so I let it this issue go.

The second card I am attempting to use is an ATI Firepro v4800 that i got off an old business pc. I hunted down and installed the relevent drivers that were listed as working with win 10. No signal. Before and a after restarting the pc after drivers were installed device managers says "No drivers are installed for this device. " while listing info on the drivers in the drivers tab.

I am running windows 10.

Any Ideas why this isn't working?

P.S. while running DX diag I realized my system is running DX12, is this the problem?

Solution
I see.
Windows has no problem with multiple display adapters and drivers.
In theory.

Some time ago, I tried the experiment to see if it make a difference in gaming performance.
I had a GTX??? of some sort and installed a cheap amd card for a side monitor.
I detected no difference in performance.
It proved that it could be done, but the quality of output of the amd card was so bad that I abandoned the second card.

Every display adapter should run in a basic mode without any drivers.

I have no thoughts on why it is not working.
Perhaps it is time to upgrade to a dp capable monitor.

toeachthierown

Commendable
Aug 17, 2016
technically it would be my 4th display, and I would have to buy display port to vga adapter, or an adapter to p
lug into my MOBO's vid outputs and hope that works, or get one of those usb VGA ports but they seem a bit pricey.

I see.
Windows has no problem with multiple display adapters and drivers.
In theory.

Some time ago, I tried the experiment to see if it make a difference in gaming performance.
I had a GTX??? of some sort and installed a cheap amd card for a side monitor.
I detected no difference in performance.
It proved that it could be done, but the quality of output of the amd card was so bad that I abandoned the second card.

Every display adapter should run in a basic mode without any drivers.

I have no thoughts on why it is not working.
Perhaps it is time to upgrade to a dp capable monitor.

Solution

Latest posts