Question Problem with enabling the motherboard's M.2_2 slot ?

Jul 7, 2024
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X470-I
BIOS is updated to: Version 5404, released 2024/03/22
CPU: Ryzen 7 2700X with Wraith Prism Cooler
GPU: Sapphire NITRO+ Radeon RX 580 8GB (running downgraded on x8 not x16)
SSD: Samsung 500GB 970 EVO PCIe 3.0 M.2 NVMe - installed in M.2_1 slot on top of motherboard

I'm attempting to install a Samsung 2TB 990 Pro PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 SSD in M.2_2 on bottom of motherboard.

As per the X470-I manual, it has:
1 x M.2 2242-2280 at card (PCIe 3.0 x4 / SATA mode)
1 x M.2 2242-2280 at rear (PCIe 3.0 x4 mode)
And the second M.2 slot on the bottom does not work with APUs, which I do not have.

I have the 990 installed in the M.2_2 slot, it appears in the BIOS under: Boot ➡ Boot Override
but nowhere else, either in BIOS or on partition manager in Manjaro. I've been messing with settings, everything should (?) be compatible with each other, the 2TB SSD PCIe 4.0 should be backwards compatible with the 3.0 of the motherboard, though I've messed with the settings in BIOS, changing Auto to GEN 3 in Advanced ➡ Onboard Devices Configuration, changing it back to Auto trying to see if anything will change.

Initially, after installing the 990, under Onboard Devices Configuration, there was only M.2_1 Link Mode,and after updating the BIOS, M.2_2 Link Mode appeared. Within BIOS, the information that shows up with PCIEX16 Bandwith is selected, it says when set to Auto it will autodetect the M.2_2 and adjust to x8. It is set to Auto.

I've been reading though several dozen posts online for similar struggles on the X470-I and others, I've tried several things, disabled SATA, none of which seem to help, and at this point the only thing I don't think I've done was reset the CMOS. However I have not ruled out the SSD just not being good, or the M.2_2 slot being faulty on the X470-I. The 990 was just purchased today. After posting this thread, I am going to take the motherboard out again and swap the two SSD to see if any difference occurs.

Does anyone have any idea what might be my issue? Something glaringly obvious?

Jul 7, 2024
I am using Manjaro, not Windows, but no it does not show in the partition manager. I have swapped the two SSD, the new one is now in the M1 and the old one now in M2. In BIOS it still shows, this time as the M1 slot, as expected, but upon booting, still doesn't show in the partition manager. CMOS battery is unfortunately hidden under/behind the ethernet socket on this motherboard so there isn't an easy way to try and reset it, so I've still not done that.

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
Nothing glaringly obvious. I do not expect the SSD to be faulty and i doubt a CMOS reset will fix the problem.
BIOS recognizes the drive. That's usually the biggest battle!

Is there a test you can perform in BIOS?
Any help from Manjaro forum or docs?
Is the OS set to hide unformatted/unmounted drives/volumes?

I am not familiar with link modes. Setting PCIe manually should be unneccessary, as you have discovered. There may be some reasons an OS, Windows or other would fail to recognize an NVMe drive but it's difficult to guess blindly.
I suspect it's an OS problem.