Question Troubles with Ethernet

Basto13

Prominent
Apr 27, 2019
Let me preface this by saying I don't really know what could be wrong or the correct terminology of some of these items in advance, sorry for the inconvenience..

PC SPECS -
GPU - NVIDIA GeForce 2070 Gaming Z GPU ~
CPU - AMD Ryzen 7 2700x ~
RAM - 32 GBS of DDR4 3200Mhz Corsair Dominator Platinum RAM ~
MOBO - MSI Tomahawk B450 ~
SSD - Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB ~

Previous means of internet - Let me do my best to explain this, my modem/router, which is the google Wi-Fi, was in the basement, and my PC is on the 2nd floor of my house. So what I did was place various mesh points around the house with one of them on my desk, and out of the ethernet connection of that mesh point, I had that inputting into my PC. Was very reliable, ran about 170 Mbps.

New means of internet - Since quarantine has been seemingly unending and most of my classes been placed online, I decided it was a good idea to to move the modem into the center of my house, with the modem still in the basement, and then wiring the modem into the router and wiring the router into various different points, such as my computer, another PC, 3 mesh points upstairs, one of which being in my room and multiple more mesh points downstairs etc.

I used about 500ft of CAT6 Cable with most of it already stapled in between walls and such. On the first day of installing the CAT6 Ethernet cable my PC was running at speeds of 500 Mbps for about 2 days with no connection drops or dips. After those 2 days of running great speeds the internet has slowed down, now I have only reached speeds of <200 Mbps in the past 3 days, which is still very good but not as good as the 500 Mbps which disappeared out of thin air.

I would not be writing this if it wasn't for the CONSTANT cut outs occurring while I'm plugged into the cable that's going straight into my PC. Everything I have done has been futile, I've checked the CAT6 Cable and there's nothing wrong with the wiring, no cuts in the cable etc. I've disabled firewalls etc. I've troubleshot my internet when it goes down and the only thing that appears is it saying "The DNS server is not responding". Looked into that and everything I've done to resolve that issue hasn't resolved it.

When my PC's cable disconnects and I'm no longer connected to the internet I'll check the other mesh points and the other computer and they're still up. I've troubleshot my Ethernet card and there's nothing wrong with it, I'm writing this message, bear with me as I try to explain this to you, with an ethernet cord connected to the mesh point in my room, one of the ethernet slots of that mesh point is the input from the router in the basement and the other flowing into my PC. With this differing connection I reach speeds of ~175 Mbps, with a few connection cut outs but comparatively none to the cutouts I get from the ethernet cord running straight to my PC.

I know I've left some information out, but there's a lot of stuff happening here, if you have any questions PLEASE comment as ask, any help is very much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include make and model information for modem, router, and mesh points.

How many network devices do you have? Are you using any static IP addresses?

Do you have a diagram or list of devices showing IP addresses (DHCP and static).

Ensure that only one device (router) is enabled to provide DHCP IP addresses.

On that router, use the admin screens to find and examine the list of devices connected to the network.

My thought is that it all worked but then as more devices joined and left the network an IP conflict developed.

On your PC run "ipconfig /all" and then "arp -a" via the Command Prompt.

Post the results.