Question Troubles with new AM5 build, help?

wolter.jeremy

Honorable
Nov 20, 2017
My parts are gigabyte b650m aorus elite 1.1, 7800x3d, g skill Trident 6400 cl32 RAM 2x16, ASRock 7900xtx, tier A PSU 850w.

First power didn't get into BIOS. Used 1 stick of RAM and got into BIOS, this worked with both sticks one at a time. Since then I installed windows, graphics driver, CMOS reset, BIOS update and made sure timings on RAM were correct. Still won't boot with 2 sticks.

Now however 1 stick in slot 4 will boot it normal, the other stick will not and when I put the other back in that slot it says there was a previous boot failure. I put the "good stick" into slot 2 and no BIOS, mobo lights indicate a VGA problem however. The other stick will not post in slot 2 either now. So current situation is 1 stick in slot 4 will start normal, same stick in slot 2 gives a VGA error. Stick 2 will not post in the first use slots. Is this enough to say bad RAM or is there more trouble shooting to do? Unfortunately I don't have another build to swap parts

check the system outside the case, just using a minimum setup. PSU, motherboard, CPU, cooler with fan, video cable from motherboard to display, one RAM in DIMM slot A2

check if some motherboard´s CPU socket pins are bent or discolored

Misgar

Commendable
Mar 2, 2023
Someone else on this forum is having problems booting up with two DIMMs, but each DIMM on its own is fine.

Are you installing both DIMMs in the two slots recommended in the motherboard user guide?

Are the DIMMs in the Qualified Vendors List? Your RAM might be qualified for Intel and not such a good match for AMD.

Are you booting the RAM at stock (JEDEC) speed or trying to apply DOCP/XMP overclock?

Set the RAM to 4,800MHz, or the stock speed setting shown in the SPD (Serial Prescence Detect) chip on each DIMM.

Do you have the latest BIOS intalled to avoid CPU overheating (new 1.3V limit)?

Create a bootable USB key with MemTest86+ and check each DIMM thoroughly.

When all else fails, remove the CPU and check for bent pins in the AM5 socket. (Of course you didn't drop the CPU into the socket, but accidents happen).

TRENDING THREADS