Troubles with new SSD

Sep 30, 2018
So I have my OS installed onto a 128gb SSD. I have a 1tb Hard-Drive for everything else. I got a new SSD and copied the HDD and pasted it into the new SSD. Now my computer WILL NOT boot up without the HDD but it has no files needed to boot, as the OS is installed on the 128gb SSD, I haven't touched the 128gb SSD at all, just the HDD and new 1tb SSD. Any ideas?

Oct 11, 2018
I know that this post is very old and that you probably have a solution now, but go to your BIOS and make sure that the SSD with OS is still set to the boot master. Sometimes when installing a new drive, it can get confused and unmark it as master.

Certainly ,simply copying/pasting contents from a small SSD contaning an OS over to a new drive (if that's the correct interpretation of the above cycle of events) and then hoping to boot from it will not work...ever.

Hence, the existence of Samsung Migration software, Macrium Reflect, Acronis, Clonezilla, AOMEI Backupper, Easeus Todo Backup; after the cloning process, you would need to be mindful of boot order/boot device priority settings with the BIOS as well, as there is no certainty that your desired device will be on top, it might very well default to the spinning drive with no OS on it...

Last edited:

popatim

Titan