Troubles with recording from nVidia tv-out onto VHS VCR.

Hello, All!

I have nVidia GeForce Ti4200 Albatron card and VHS VCR Toshiba V-853. When I
try to record anything (including Windows desctop) from tv-out onto VCR, the
image on the cassete is always B/W, despite I have color image on TV. But
when I try to record on my old VCR Sony E510 (bought in 1996) and Pantera
VCR (bought in 1990) - the record is in color. I tried different stadarts of
output signal - from PAL to NTSC, but the problem stays. It would be great
if anyone could give me any idea how to correct this problem. Thanx in
advance.

With best regards, Boris Kassiantchouk.

"Boris Kassiantchouk" <borisk@inbox.ru> wrote in message

> try to record anything (including Windows desctop) from tv-out onto VCR,
the
> image on the cassete is always B/W, despite I have color image on TV. But
> when I try to record on my old VCR Sony E510 (bought in 1996) and Pantera
> VCR (bought in 1990) - the record is in color. I tried different stadarts
of
> output signal - from PAL to NTSC, but the problem stays. It would be great
> if anyone could give me any idea how to correct this problem. Thanx in

Hi Boris,

The bottom line is: you tv-out signal is set to a s-video signal (sometimes
also called s-vhs). That means that there two seperate signals are used:
color and luminance information.

Your Toshiba only picks up the luminance info, leading to B/W video. Despite
being older, your other VCRs are somehow capable of using both signals.

How is you video hooked up to the computer? Using one of those small 4-pin
s-video leads? Or are you using one of those yellow RCA-type leads. The
latter is for composite video only, if you're using such a connection,
resolve the problem by setting your ti4200 to composite output.

If you're using the 4-pin s-video leads, see if you can switch the Toshiba
VCR to a mode in which it accepts S-Video signals (as opposed to composite,
like it does now). Could be a switch on the back of the VCR, could be a menu
option. Maybe the VCR will only accept s-video signal through a (certain)
scart connection. See if you can get a suitable adapter for it.

If all else fails, maybe you can record the picture 'through' your
television. If the tv accepts the signal, then it might put out usable
version of that same picture through one of its scart connections.

So, many things to try. But you're basically trying to match input and
output signals to be both s-video or both composite. But not mixed like they
are now.

Good luck,

Edo

Hello, Edo!
You wrote on Thu, 17 Jun 2004 11:01:05 +0200:

EN> The bottom line is: you tv-out signal is set to a s-video signal
EN> (sometimes also called s-vhs). That means that there two seperate
EN> signals are used: color and luminance information.

EN> Your Toshiba only picks up the luminance info, leading to B/W video.
EN> Despite being older, your other VCRs are somehow capable of using both
EN> signals.

Should there be any capacitor between color and luminance? One TV-repairman
told me to try a capacitor 470, 510 or 680 pF. My SCART->S-Video+RCA adaptor
has no capacitors inside - only wires between connectors.

EN> How is you video hooked up to the computer? Using one of those small
EN> 4-pin s-video leads? Or are you using one of those yellow RCA-type
EN> leads. The latter is for composite video only, if you're using such a
EN> connection, resolve the problem by setting your ti4200 to composite
EN> output.

I have S-Video on my videcard and use S-Video->RCA cable (to connect to TV
with RCA input) and S-Video->S-Video cable to connect to TV with S-Video
input.

EN> If you're using the 4-pin s-video leads, see if you can switch the
EN> Toshiba VCR to a mode in which it accepts S-Video signals (as opposed
EN> to composite, like it does now). Could be a switch on the back of the
EN> VCR, could be a menu option.

No switches on the back and not even a word about S-Video in the manual...

EN> Maybe the VCR will only accept s-video signal through a (certain)
EN> scart connection. See if you can get a suitable adapter for it.
EN> If all else fails, maybe you can record the picture 'through' your
EN> television.

I'll see if my Sony TV with 2 SCARTs on the back has output via them...

> Should there be any capacitor between color and luminance? One
TV-repairman
> told me to try a capacitor 470, 510 or 680 pF. My SCART->S-Video+RCA
adaptor
> has no capacitors inside - only wires between connectors.

Hi Boris,

I'm not a technician in this respect, but my guess is that such a setup
could fool/trick a device into accepting a certain input if the cable isn't
100% correct.
But that seems like a last resort to me.

> I have S-Video on my videcard and use S-Video->RCA cable (to connect to TV
> with RCA input) and S-Video->S-Video cable to connect to TV with S-Video
> input.

So your s-video to rca cable (for the tv) is capable of combining the two
signals, right? How about using this cable to connect to a scart
connector/adapter (that one of those yellow RCA composite connectors on the
back). Should work, right?

But how do you connect your s-video signal to one of your VCRs? Are your
using any convertors for that? Do the VCRs differ in the type of connections
they allow?

And if you don't mind loosing the s-video signal, then why not see if you
can change the setup of your ti4200, and switch that to composite output all
together?

Regards,

Edo

Hello, Edo!
You wrote on Thu, 17 Jun 2004 13:16:44 +0200:

EN> So your s-video to rca cable (for the tv) is capable of combining the
EN> two signals, right? How about using this cable to connect to a scart
EN> connector/adapter (that one of those yellow RCA composite connectors on
EN> the back). Should work, right?

I tried to connect RCA input of V-853 with TV-out via this cable, but the
result was the same... It really looks very strange ;)

EN> But how do you connect your s-video signal to one of your VCRs? Are
EN> your using any convertors for that? Do the VCRs differ in the type of
EN> connections they allow?

I'm using either RCA-SCART adaptor or S-Video-RCA adaptor. In both case old
vcr's recorded in color.

EN> And if you don't mind loosing the s-video signal, then why not see if
EN> you can change the setup of your ti4200, and switch that to composite
EN> output all together?

Well, it's very interesting indeed - when I switch tv-out to S-Video the TV
with SVHS input recognizes the signal well, but the output from TV to VCR is
b/w. When I switch to composite in driver's setup, the output from TV (via
SACRT on TV) is color, but record - b/w. Looks like V-853 doesn't understand
S-Video signal even when TV-out switched to composite mode.

I tried such combination as: TV-out -> S-Video input on TV -> output to VCR,
but the record again b/w... So even if the signal from the PC passes through
TV, the record remains b/w :) Very, very strange :)

> Well, it's very interesting indeed - when I switch tv-out to S-Video the
TV
> with SVHS input recognizes the signal well, but the output from TV to VCR
is
> b/w. When I switch to composite in driver's setup, the output from TV (via
> SACRT on TV) is color, but record - b/w. Looks like V-853 doesn't
understand
> S-Video signal even when TV-out switched to composite mode.
>
> I tried such combination as: TV-out -> S-Video input on TV -> output to
VCR,
> but the record again b/w... So even if the signal from the PC passes
through
> TV, the record remains b/w :) Very, very strange :)

Well Boris, this is past my understanding too ;)
Seems like you did everything in your power to check all combinations, but
unfortunately still without the desired result...

Good luck in your further attempts to get it right. You'll probably end up
buying yet another VCR ;)

Best regards,

Edo