Troubles with recording video from Ti4200 TV-out onto VHS ..

G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Hello, All!

I have nVidia GeForce Ti4200 Albatron card and VHS VCR Toshiba V-853. When I
try to record anything (including Windows desctop) from tv-out onto VCR, the
image on the cassete is always B/W, despite I have color image on TV. But
when I try to record on my old VCR Sony E510 - the record is in color. I
tried different stadarts of output signal - from PAL to NTSC, but the
problem stays. It would be great if anyone could give me any idea how to
correct this problem. Thanx in advance.

With best regards, Boris Kassiantchouk.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

"Boris Kassiantchouk" <borisk@inbox.ru> wrote in message
news:caou6d$2p9s$1@news.aha.ru...
> Hello, All!
>
> I have nVidia GeForce Ti4200 Albatron card and VHS VCR Toshiba V-853. When
I
> try to record anything (including Windows desctop) from tv-out onto VCR,
the
> image on the cassete is always B/W, despite I have color image on TV. But
> when I try to record on my old VCR Sony E510 - the record is in color. I
> tried different stadarts of output signal - from PAL to NTSC, but the
> problem stays. It would be great if anyone could give me any idea how to
> correct this problem. Thanx in advance.

How are you connecting the TV out to the VCR? Can you check the
specifications of the 2 VCRs and see if either support SVHS/SVideo? It's
possible that the E510 does and the V-853 doesn't; if SVideo isn't supported
then you'll get a B&W image, and if you're using a standard SVideo to SCART
connection this is likely the problem you have.

Dan
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Hello, Daniel!
You wrote on Wed, 16 Jun 2004 10:52:09 +0100:

DC> How are you connecting the TV out to the VCR?

I've tried different connections:

- cable S-Video->S-Video+adaptor SCART->S-Video+RCA
- cable S-Video->RCA, connected to RCA input of V-853
- cable S-Video->SCART

DC> Can you check the specifications of the 2 VCRs and see if either
DC> support SVHS/SVideo? It's possible that the E510 does and the V-853
DC> doesn't;

E510 is older than V-853. E510 was brought in 1996, when S-Video wasn't
popular, and V-853 was brought in this year. But anyway I'll check the
specifications. By the way I recorded video from tv-out onto very-very old
VCR Pantera using cable S-Video->RCA+adaptor SCART->RCA. Pantera was brought
in 1990 ;) And it recorded in color.

Perhaps V-853 has some kind of protection against recording like
Macrovision?

With best regards, Boris Kassiantchouk.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

"Boris Kassiantchouk" <borisk@inbox.ru> wrote in message
news:cap8s6$4g5$1@news.aha.ru...
> Hello, Daniel!
> You wrote on Wed, 16 Jun 2004 10:52:09 +0100:
>
> DC> How are you connecting the TV out to the VCR?
>
> I've tried different connections:
>
> - cable S-Video->S-Video+adaptor SCART->S-Video+RCA
> - cable S-Video->RCA, connected to RCA input of V-853
> - cable S-Video->SCART
>
> DC> Can you check the specifications of the 2 VCRs and see if either
> DC> support SVHS/SVideo? It's possible that the E510 does and the V-853
> DC> doesn't;
>
> E510 is older than V-853. E510 was brought in 1996, when S-Video wasn't
> popular, and V-853 was brought in this year. But anyway I'll check the
> specifications. By the way I recorded video from tv-out onto very-very old
> VCR Pantera using cable S-Video->RCA+adaptor SCART->RCA. Pantera was
brought
> in 1990 ;) And it recorded in color.
>
> Perhaps V-853 has some kind of protection against recording like
> Macrovision?

If you were only trying to record Macrovision protected content such as DVDs
it would be possible that was the problem, but as you say recording only the
Windows desktop still results in B&W then it's unlikely. Have you tried
recording from anything with the Toshiba VCR via the SCART or RCA
connectors?

Which make and model Ti4200 do you have? From those details it's possible to
find out what TV out chipset is being used and determine if there are any
known issues. It does seem very strange that a new VCR is having trouble
when the older ones are fine - I'd expect it to be the other way around.
With my Leadtek Winfast A250LE Ti4200 I've never had problems recording to
my 2 year old Hitachi VCR which doesn't support SVideo so long as the output
is in PAL (in the UK we use PAL/I), using the TV out to SVideo+RCA cable
that came with the card and an RCA->SCART lead.

Dan
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Hello, Daniel!
You wrote on Wed, 16 Jun 2004 14:26:23 +0100:

??>> Perhaps V-853 has some kind of protection against recording like
??>> Macrovision?

DC> If you were only trying to record Macrovision protected content such as
DC> DVDs it would be possible that was the problem, but as you say
DC> recording only the Windows desktop still results in B&W then it's
DC> unlikely.

Yes. Even the image of Windows and Linux desctops are b/w

DC> Have you tried recording from anything with the Toshiba VCR via the
DC> SCART or RCA connectors?

Yes. I tried to copy two PAL videocassets via SCART (using SCART-SCART
cable), that weren't protected with Macrovision and both were copied
perfectly.

DC> Which make and model Ti4200 do you have? From those details it's
DC> possible to find out what TV out chipset is being used and determine if
DC> there are any known issues.

Albatron GeForce Ti4200 128Mb (no "armor" over the card - only one cooler on
the chip), TV-chip Connexant CX25871.

DC> is in PAL (in the UK we use PAL/I), using the TV out to SVideo+RCA
DC> cable that came with the card and an RCA->SCART lead.

I live in Russia and we use SECAM-DK here, but my VCRs and TVs are
multisystem and I never experienced such strange problem ;) For example - I
recorded some programms from NTV+ satellite, which broadcasts in PAL - and
no problem with V-853. Only recording from the computer is b/w.

With best regards, Boris Kassiantchouk.
 

David

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2004
2,039
0
19,780
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

"Boris Kassiantchouk" <borisk@inbox.ru> wrote in message
news:caou6d$2p9s$1@news.aha.ru...
> Hello, All!
>
> I have nVidia GeForce Ti4200 Albatron card and VHS VCR Toshiba V-853. When
I
> try to record anything (including Windows desctop) from tv-out onto VCR,
the
> image on the cassete is always B/W, despite I have color image on TV. But
> when I try to record on my old VCR Sony E510 - the record is in color. I
> tried different stadarts of output signal - from PAL to NTSC, but the
> problem stays. It would be great if anyone could give me any idea how to
> correct this problem. Thanx in advance.
>
> With best regards, Boris Kassiantchouk.
>
>

Boris, I had the same problem. Went out and bought a new vcr, Toshiba
v-241uk and voila it recorded B&W even though it was showing as colour.
Never resloved it but luckily my daughter had a Hitachi which worked so we
swapped. No help at least you know your not alone.

All I can think of is maybe Toshibas interpret the signals differently.

My original thread

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=scart+records+black+white&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=Gbef8.3494%247k4.21460114%40news-text.cableinet.net&rnum=7
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Hello, David!
You wrote on Thu, 17 Jun 2004 22:20:04 GMT:

D> Boris, I had the same problem. Went out and bought a new vcr, Toshiba
D> v-241uk and voila it recorded B&W even though it was showing as colour.
D> Never resloved it but luckily my daughter had a Hitachi which worked so
D> we swapped. No help at least you know your not alone.

I see :) I discussed this problem with different people and found the scheme
of S-Video to RCA. Look here: http://www.pinouts.ru/data/svideo2RCA.shtml

I was told to try to connect Color and Luminance signal through cereamic
capacitor 470 pF. I checked my adaptors and cables - the Lum and Col signals
are separated! So I'll try to close this sginals via capacitor or even
directly.

D> All I can think of is maybe Toshibas interpret the signals differently.

Yes. Looks like Toshiba doesn't understand S-Video even via connectors and
adatoptor and needs fully composite signal (closed Lum and Col)

With best regards, Boris Kassiantchouk. E-mail: borisk@inbox.ru

öÉÌ ÔÁË ÂÅÄÎÏ, ÞÔÏ ÐÏÈÏÒÏÎÅÎ ÂÙÌ × ÔÏÊ ÖÅ ÒÕÂÁÛËÅ, × ËÏÔÏÒÏÊ É ÒÏÄÉÌÓÑ...
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

You can force the nVidia drivers to send a composite signal through the
S-Video out. Check the properties for te TV out.

Cheers
Sha
"Boris Kassiantchouk" <borisk@inbox.ru> wrote in message
news:caurph$kd0$1@news.aha.ru...
> Hello, David!
> You wrote on Thu, 17 Jun 2004 22:20:04 GMT:
>
> D> Boris, I had the same problem. Went out and bought a new vcr, Toshiba
> D> v-241uk and voila it recorded B&W even though it was showing as
colour.
> D> Never resloved it but luckily my daughter had a Hitachi which worked
so
> D> we swapped. No help at least you know your not alone.
>
> I see :) I discussed this problem with different people and found the
scheme
> of S-Video to RCA. Look here: http://www.pinouts.ru/data/svideo2RCA.shtml
>
> I was told to try to connect Color and Luminance signal through cereamic
> capacitor 470 pF. I checked my adaptors and cables - the Lum and Col
signals
> are separated! So I'll try to close this sginals via capacitor or even
> directly.
>
> D> All I can think of is maybe Toshibas interpret the signals
differently.
>
> Yes. Looks like Toshiba doesn't understand S-Video even via connectors and
> adatoptor and needs fully composite signal (closed Lum and Col)
>
> With best regards, Boris Kassiantchouk. E-mail: borisk@inbox.ru
>
> öÉÌ ÔÁË ÂÅÄÎÏ, ÞÔÏ ÐÏÈÏÒÏÎÅÎ ÂÙÌ × ÔÏÊ ÖÅ ÒÕÂÁÛËÅ, × ËÏÔÏÒÏÊ É ÒÏÄÉÌÓÑ...
>
>