Question Troubleshoot: Dead CPU or Motherboard ?

omgbranden

Honorable
Oct 31, 2017
Hello all, I was building a PC with some of my old parts, all of them worked fine before and I stored all of them in their original boxes, and when I try to boot the PC I get no display or Beep codes, but all fans and lights run normally. I've tested the PSU and it works fine in another build, at this point I'm at my wits end lol. Does anyone have any suggestions or know whats up?

Some things that I've tried:
(Only thing connected in the back is the monitor, power, keyboard, and mouse)

• taken out, reseated, and put together every component back in 4x minimum.
  • reseated ram
  • tried 1 ram stick
  • Tried different ram stick configuration
  • Removed graphics card and tried running on integrated graphics (HDMI only, i dont have a dvi cord on me nor a vga-dvi converter for the monitors)
  • Different HDMI cords
  • removed all ram to see if i get any beep at all (Which I do! 3 short beeps)
  • Cleared CMOS
  • Changed CMOS battery
  • Unplugged both hard drives (sata and power)

At this point, im thinking it's a dead CPU, but I honestly don't know how to troubleshoot something like this, its a first for me so anything helps!

Build:
Mobo: ASRock z270 killer
Ram: 2x 8 gb Corsair dominators
Cpu: Intel core i5_7600k 3.80GHz
GPU: msi twin frozr 7 1660 ti
PSU: CoolerMaster G550M

Update #1: I put a single stick of ram in the B1 slot, 3rd slot, and it boots to bios! I tried the other stick as well and it also boots, but it seems that if I put two sticks in, it won't display at, all any ideas? i config the ram sticks for dual memory on A2_B2 usually as, thats prefered, but trying A1_B1 as well but it doesn't work, is this a settings thing in bios? this didnt happen before :/

Last edited:
Solution
The common problem of bent pins is ram issues.
No dual channel, non operative ram slot. etc.
The functions of individual pins is murky.
If the chip operates ok otherwise, keep on using it.

The pins get bent when the chip is not dropped in cleanly.

Lutfij

Titan
How old is the PSU in your build?

Which variant of the board do you own?

You can use an eraser to wipe the gold contacts on the sticks of ram clean, wipe them clean off of any eraser lint, then reseat in slots A2 and B2. A2 first then B2 later. Have you tried working with another kit of ram? Did you inspect the socket for any bent or broken pins? How are you cooling the processor?

Reactions: omgbranden
The fact that you can boot with just one stick would suggest that your cpu is ok.

Multi ram issues are commonly caused by a bent pin in the cpu socket.
It is all to easy to do if you had to wiggle the cpu to get it seated.
Take the cpu out and inspect the pins closely.
A bent pin can often be nudged back into place with a needle.

Reactions: omgbranden

omgbranden

Honorable
Oct 31, 2017
How old is the PSU in your build?

Which variant of the board do you own?

You can use an eraser to wipe the gold contacts on the sticks of ram clean, wipe them clean off of any eraser lint, then reseat in slots A2 and B2. A2 first then B2 later. Have you tried working with another kit of ram? Did you inspect the socket for any bent or broken pins? How are you cooling the processor?
Thanks for the reply, the PSU is from a friend, and he is not too sure, but the PSU was in use up until I took it for the build, and just to double check if the PSU was working correctly I plugged it into another build with similar consumption, worked with no issue. MOBO is Killer SLI/AC. Im cooling the CPU with a air cooler, AK400 DeepCool, and unfortunately, i don't have another ram kit with me.

After further inspection of the CPU socket, there does seem to be a pin bent or just missing, idk how this happened or if its fixable what do you guys think?

Some pics of the socket

Lutfij

Titan
Look to the bottom left hand corner;
upMlujM.jpeg

6pins up and the first pin to the left. See if that's a bent pin.

One thing I try to do is try and take a picture with diffused lighting, the stark shadows do mess around with you, creating an optical illusion of the the pins and their alignments.

omgbranden

Honorable
Oct 31, 2017
Look to the bottom left hand corner;
upMlujM.jpeg

6pins up and the first pin to the left. See if that's a bent pin.

One thing I try to do is try and take a picture with diffused lighting, the stark shadows do mess around with you, creating an optical illusion of the the pins and their alignments.
I attached a few photos in the imgur link. Does this "missing pin" do anything or is it supposed to be like that :sweatsmile:

Other than that all pins seem to be facing the correct orientation, some are very, slightly, off but in the right direction. Including the one you mentioned.

omgbranden

Honorable
Oct 31, 2017
At this point, I'm thinking of just using the single channel lol. I'm just worried that that broken pin will affect other performances as well. I can't seem to find the pinout for the socket, do you think running it anyways is a smart choice?

I don't think the comp will be under intense loads, as its for my younger brother and he doesn't really do much with it besides kids games.

omgbranden

Honorable
Oct 31, 2017
Thanks for everyone's help! The problem was the missing pin as you guys suggested. After using ChatGPT to help with the LGA1151 pinout it seems as though the A1 and A2 channels were affected and is no longer functioning properly. As a result I mounted the ram sticks on B1 and B2, although not optimal, do you think mounting both is ideal, or should i just stick to one. Thanks again for everyones help, computer is now up and running.

TRENDING THREADS