Troubleshoot: The DNS server isn't responding

Aug 24, 2018
Howdy! It seems like I have an Internet connection problem with my old PC because there are some moments when it doesn't work or not reconnect at all until the next day or even two days. When I troubleshoot the issue it just says "The DNS server isn't responding". What would be the issue?! Might be an hardware issue or might be from my internet provider? A little help from you guys might be helpful.

Ralston18

Titan
More information needed.

Wired - wireless?

If wired, have you tried another known working Ethernet cable?

Is the connection direct to a router or modem or via a wall outlet?

What make and model PC? What make and model network adapter(s) are installed?

inzane4all

Upstanding
Jun 20, 2018
How "Old" is this system? Windows XP old or Vista old? You may have outdated drivers or network components on that machine that may need to be updated in order to get it to work properly. What speeds: Gigabit or 10/100 Mbps speeds? I'm assuming this is a home connection, so DHCP is being handled by your router.

I mean, a simple solution would be to change the DNS manually on that machine and add google DNS to test and see if it helps:

Google DNS: 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4

Use this guide and follow the steps for IPV4 only. Hope this helps....

Aug 24, 2018
@Ralston18 As an Internet connection I use wired ethernet cable. I also tried an another cable but was the same "story".
Pretty much I know it is a connection direct to a router that I have it from my internet provider and the basic model is an Huawei HG658 (pretty much is an outdated router). My old PC is an actual custom budget build PC which I built it back in 2013. The network adapter(s) model is an Killer E2200.

Here are the specs of my outdated PC:
AMD FX 4300 at 3.8 Ghz
Gigabyte Geforce GTX 960 4GB
HyperX Beast 8GB DDR3
Gigabyte GA-970 GAMING G1
Western Digital Blue 1TB
Samsung 960 EVO 120GB

Aug 24, 2018
@inzane4all As main OS I have installed Windows 10 Version 1809. The "latest" network driver controller for the network adaptor(s) was updated or launched back in 2015 or 2016 but I'm not really sure well. As internet speed is by default 100 Mbps. Also I will try to test the Google DNS and see if it works.

Aug 24, 2018
Definitely I'm going to try to contact my internet provider these days to see if they can send a team to change my router and see if that issue goes away. As far as I know, my "outdated" router model is V1 which is somehow bigger than the HG658 V2 which that thing looks like a toy.